Non-functioning Fn Keys

TonyP84

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
I purchased a Samsung Series 5 Ultra with Windows 8 about a year ago. I have always had an issue with only a couple of the Fn+ F".." shortcut keys working. Currently only Fn+F(5-8) keys work. Does anyone know if there is a menu to enable or disable the specific keys individually? All I can find is how to disable/enable the entire function completely, either shutting off ALL the shortcut keys or turning them ALL on.

Solution
Ah, I see. Most, if not all of those, should control things when Fn is pressed, without any issues. They should work system-wide. Since they don't, the only thing I can assume is wrong is an incorrect driver setup for the Fn keys. Each computer is fairly different, and they require the exact drivers for things like Fn keys, because they're normally manufacturer (or individual model) specific, due to the nature of their use. The main ones (volume control, touchpad,) are most likely working properly due to the drivers for the specific devices (sounds and touchpad) being the correct drivers.

If you have Windows installed driver updates, they may be the incorrect ones for your system, in the fact that they work to allow you to use the...

Camar0ss

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
Some Fn shortcuts only work with specific programs, on certain model laptops. Like a "Play/Pause" button shortcut will only work with Media Player and a limited amount of other programs, depending on how they're coded. Things like volume, brightness, display changes, etc are a system-wide deal, which means they'll work regardless of what you're doing. The only real way to know whether your Fn keys are actually malfunctioning, or if they're simply program-specific, is to know what your Fn keys actually are. I know it's a bit of a hassle, but if you could list what they are, it should be a bit easier to determine what's actually going on.

TonyP84

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014

TonyP84

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
Attn: CamaroSS-----Hi, I am the lister of the problem, sorry for the delay in response. The Fn keys are as follows:
F1: setup/config. F2:brightness down. F3: brightness up. F4: display selection options. F5: touch pad(on/off). F6: volum mute. F7: volume down. F8: volume up. F9&10: no function. F11: fan. F12: wifi enable/disable. Insert key: Prt Sc

Thank you,
Tony

Camar0ss

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
Ah, I see. Most, if not all of those, should control things when Fn is pressed, without any issues. They should work system-wide. Since they don't, the only thing I can assume is wrong is an incorrect driver setup for the Fn keys. Each computer is fairly different, and they require the exact drivers for things like Fn keys, because they're normally manufacturer (or individual model) specific, due to the nature of their use. The main ones (volume control, touchpad,) are most likely working properly due to the drivers for the specific devices (sounds and touchpad) being the correct drivers.

If you have Windows installed driver updates, they may be the incorrect ones for your system, in the fact that they work to allow you to use the hardware, but the keys associated with them aren't working properly as a result. You'll need to check your driver versions, who the "publisher" of the drivers are, and compare them with the drivers available from the manufacturer of your machine. If you require help finding the correct drivers, you'll need to give more information. Specifically the exact make and model number of the machine in question. (If it has numbers or name near the monitor somewhere, these are specific, but not always specific enough as there are usually several different designs of the same base model, so you'll have to find the specific model number for your machine, either on the bottom of it, or through the system itself.)

Solution