Non HD content on HD plasma/LCD

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

A lot of people have told me that regular content (out of my non HD
cable box, or my non HD Windows Media Center [like a Tivo]) looks a lot
worse on a HD unit. As much as I would like to take advantage of all
the HD content out there, my Media Center cannot record HD content, and
I'm not ready to change that at the moment. How bad does non HD content
look. I am thinking about a 32" LCD screen if that makes a difference.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

jrmwillis@gmail.com wrote:

> A lot of people have told me that regular content (out of my non HD
> cable box, or my non HD Windows Media Center [like a Tivo]) looks a lot
> worse on a HD unit. As much as I would like to take advantage of all
> the HD content out there, my Media Center cannot record HD content, and
> I'm not ready to change that at the moment. How bad does non HD content
> look. I am thinking about a 32" LCD screen if that makes a difference.
>

I don't claim to be an expert of these matters since I just bought my
LCD TV about a week ago, but I found out recently that you can
"down-convert" your LCD (or cable box) to something like 480P (as oppose
to 1080i high-def) for "analog sources" and low-res content like Windows
Media content or regular broadcast TV.

At least, you have the option to make it look better.

-Naz
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I have a 63" rear projection pioneer, I am upgrading to dlp or lcd rear
projection, haven't decided yet, the standard feeds take a bit getting used
to, as do the stretch/zoom modes to fill the screen, having adjusted I would
never go back, more hd content every day, I would think on the smaller 32"
set it would be less of a problem, but would still be there

"Naz Reyes" <user@site.com> wrote in message
news:Hu-dnUr-u9YP8JTfRVn-oA@rcn.net...
>
>
> jrmwillis@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> A lot of people have told me that regular content (out of my non HD
>> cable box, or my non HD Windows Media Center [like a Tivo]) looks a lot
>> worse on a HD unit. As much as I would like to take advantage of all
>> the HD content out there, my Media Center cannot record HD content, and
>> I'm not ready to change that at the moment. How bad does non HD content
>> look. I am thinking about a 32" LCD screen if that makes a difference.
>>
>
> I don't claim to be an expert of these matters since I just bought my LCD
> TV about a week ago, but I found out recently that you can "down-convert"
> your LCD (or cable box) to something like 480P (as oppose to 1080i
> high-def) for "analog sources" and low-res content like Windows Media
> content or regular broadcast TV.
>
> At least, you have the option to make it look better.
>
> -Naz
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

The larger 42", 50" screens magnify the SD issues. A smaller 32"
screen would be less of a concern.

JCPZero
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On 9 Feb 2005 16:18:04 -0800, jcpzero@yahoo.com wrote:

>
>The larger 42", 50" screens magnify the SD issues. A smaller 32"
>screen would be less of a concern.

Depends on the viewing distance (of cource).
Resampling the picture to another resolution and field rate will have
some negative effects (motion artefacts) . At the same time the sharp
pixels of a fixed pixel (front) display, becomes less detectable (and
disturbing) in an HD display for a certain picture angular size
(display size / distance).

Check the TV:s at your planned viewing distance with all kinds of
signals and content (Film/TV, moving objects in front of a detailed
background) and watch for the inpression of depth, flickering at
object edges,smoothness of gradiants, skin tones etc.
To me, an LCD panel gives a more steady picture compared to plasma
(but it is also a little slower in the response.)
/Jan
 

sharon

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
63
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

jrmwillis@gmail.com wrote:
> A lot of people have told me that regular content (out of my non HD
> cable box, or my non HD Windows Media Center [like a Tivo]) looks a lot
> worse on a HD unit. As much as I would like to take advantage of all
> the HD content out there, my Media Center cannot record HD content, and
> I'm not ready to change that at the moment. How bad does non HD content
> look. I am thinking about a 32" LCD screen if that makes a difference.
>

You shouldn't have much trouble on a 32" screen. I have a Toshiba 62HM94
and although my HD channels looked superb and most of my digital
channels looked excellent, some of my SD channels looked grainy. Here is
what I did to solve the problem. I installed a splitter to split the
cable signal between my cable box and my TV...one cable goes to the
cable box and the other cable goes to the Antenna 1 connection on my TV.
When I want to watch the SD channels I switch the TV input to Ant 1 and
the channels are coming in extremely clear. It seems like the signal
going through the cable DVR box degrades the SD signal somewhat.

Sharon
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Streaming Video & TVs 4
W Streaming Video & TVs 3
W Streaming Video & TVs 9
T Streaming Video & TVs 3
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
T Streaming Video & TVs 7
C Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 0

ASK THE COMMUNITY