NordVPN Review: Easy But Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuddlyPop

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
It's really easy to install and use and want to contradict about speeds they are really great. So you get a premium product for great price.

Fastergi

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
Don't want to agree with speed test results. I'm located in Europe and just tested US, UK, NL and DE servers and got just around 10 percent off, so on 100Mbps not cable line I've reached 85-93 Mbps speed. Ownership anonymity and not disclosing identities is big advantage preventing user's anonymity even more.

Alezzane

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
I got nearly the same speed with Nord as without and You write you have 36 percent speed drop due to encryption but describing you download speed you are about to describe you've downloaded the same file 4 times quicker. So I think you should re-test NordVPN. And maybe you have tested on different encryption? They have recently improved and demonstrates one of the best speeds in the market at the moment

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017

Agreed with Alezzane, Nord has been improving quite vastly. I have had a couple of encounters, and I have not noticed that massive speed drops, maybe 5-7% at worst, if that. Maybe you are trying to download a lot of files at once, or someone is in your network at the same time using the internet?

SaberSter

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
I'm in Finland at the moment and Netflix, HBO works well so enjoying watching GoT. All good with speeds

Thomasis75

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
Also disagree with speed, cost and ownership points.

First I check my speed everyday. I get 48-49 mbps down using NordVPN on my 50 Mbps connection.

Second, my cost is far less than stated

Third - isn't stealth ownership what you WANT if you are using a VPN connection? and;

Doesn't it make more sense to have a VPN service drop the SPECIFIC connection you are concerned with when a connection is dropped instead of your whole machine.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

visiveri

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
Looks this review is not carried out properly as I also have great DL speed (~90mbps on one hundred line), connections drops are rare thing and totally disagree with cons about companies ownership. Its big advantages i.e FBO won't know who is responsible in some investigations

jefftomnerd

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Gave NordVPN a try since they have a 3 day trial period. First time I had ever used a VPN for home computers. I have used work VPNs from home. Before starting this adventure, I thought to myself, "How can a company afford to have all that bandwidth from its users through its pipes and make any money?". I think I know the answer, they can't. I have a modest 20 mgb cable connection that typically give me great speeds. I install the NordVPN client, connect to it and proceed to stream a download and it ranges between 6Kbs and 50 kbs speeds. I let that run for a good 10 minutes and it is pathetic. While the download is going I disconnect NordVPN and my download jumps up to 6 Mgbs. I'll be looking for a better solution. Test for yourself before buying. I do have to applaud NordVPN for giving us the 3 day trial, thanks NordVPN!

ing.karel.kral

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
Horrible experience! I have purchased 2 year subsription. Most of time NordVPN is not working at all. Connects, transfers for 30 sec. After this time connection is still connected but transfer speed drops to 0 kB/s.

orseersho

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
This review isn't up to date. I'm using NordVPN and have great speed, on average I'm experiencing just 10% DL deacrease. So far no app crash or connection drops - satisfied with NordVPN

arcadesale69

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
I purchased a 2 Year Sunscription simply due to the Great Price. I really like the simple interface and support has been pretty good overall. The BIG PROBLEM is SPEED! Plain and Simply. We lose 50% of our Speed with anything and everything while connected to NordVPN. As soon as we Disable it, all of our speed comes right back. We are also experiencing Numerous Disconnects during Peak hours. Again, disconnecting from NordVPN gives us a solid connection with NO disconnects.

CONCLUSION... You get what you pay for as we are only paying an average of $3.00 per month since we pre-paid for 2 years. The #1 problem is SPEED SUCKS! Some Disconnects. Everything else is good.

joecreatabledotco

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
I've just put an offer on NordVPN up on my site and I've had no issues with speed during my tests. Sure, it's not as fast as a direct connection, that's to be expected! If you're getting slow speeds then I recommend going to the server list and selecting a server with a low load percentage.

Mar 27, 2018
I left WiTopia, which I love, and decided to try this service. The website had several small bugs--dialog boxes not closing when the "x" was clicked, for example, and that was unsettling. Then the process of registering my account proved nearly impossible, because of my own error--I supplied an email address that had expired.

The fatal problem was the customer service. I explained my issue in detail, admitted my error, but I couldn't seem to make the agent understand the situation. I had to repeat myself several times. Finally, I grew frustrated--this plus the bugs in the web site said "sloppy" to me, and I asked for a refund (there was a 30-day no-questions guarantee). The refund was not granted on my first request, or on my second. The agent kept trying to engage me and problem-solve. Finally I demanded my money back. No--I had to be transferred to a different agent, Eric. Eric was in the "payment" department. Then Eric wanted to problem-solve. I said that this was the fourth time I had asked for my money back; that I wanted to terminate the service NOW, and that if there were further delays I would write a bad review. To this, Eric said: "I'm sorry you couldn't manage our service" or "I'm sorry you weren't able to make our service work"--something that implied that it was my stupidity or incompetence that was the problem. I found this insulting, and said so. Eric replied with three words. I had to ask for a transaction identification number for the refund, which Eric provided with no words. Then I said I wanted a transcript of the chat, and asked Eric to stay on the chat so that I could verify receipt of the transcript, because of the email problems. That was apparently impossible for Eric to do.

So I never actually tested the performance of the VPN. But the bugs in the website and the rude and unaccommodating customer service were inexcusable. Totally. They acted as if they could easily afford to alienate me. Well, they succeeded. Forty-five minutes of my time were wasted, and I was insulted. By the way--two hours later, there is no credit to my bank account. Stay away from this provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.