NordVPN Review: Easy But Slow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poncke

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2016
I just subscribed for 3 years, 2.60$ per month. Ookla tested at 80mb/s, I have a 240mb/s connection. Thats a drop of 66%. Downloading torrents site around 900kb/s and only one connection. If I dont use the VPN I have about 8-9mb/s on each of 4 connections. So this is a drop of about 95%. I do have to say, in the FAQ it says if you use a server closer to home, the connection is faster. I am in Europe and the speed test was through a US server. Other than that, super easy to use and simple GUI. And cheap.

Apr 9, 2018
I have been using Nord for quite a while now. I do check my speed pretty often because my own internet is not very stable but so far never caught higher than 12% speed loss comparing original and with-VPN speeds. Well I did but in the beginning when I did not know that torrenting requires to connect to p2p server. Now all seems good thought I do not really use faraway servers as I do not see the need to so I guess that helps too.

Apr 24, 2018
Most of the time I’m in Denmark but time from time work in UK. The speed in both places while on vpn didn’t get lower than 10-20% overall. Do not really get what you are saying about speeds, it must have improved a lot since you have checked.

Apr 27, 2018
Well as one of the grants NordVPN does its job and what I like knowing is that I get double the encryption (you know the only one thing better than one is two).
If you call me a paranoid android, would be close to the truth. So maybe not a popular opinion but I kind of respect the whole company being “mysterious". If they are able to “hide” themselves, they must be able to provide that, too.

Apr 30, 2018
I came here from YouTube.
6/10? You must be joking. Nord is a giant, worth at least 8/10 if not 10/10. Am using for two months now, the speed is almost as my ISP. No complaints.

May 2, 2018
Now trying out nordvpn free trial and so far I'm impressed. I think the rating should be higher as I did not experience any major speed drops or buffering while streaming us netflix. In addition, their app is very easy to use for everyone.

May 3, 2018
hey guys scrolled a bit through comments wow so diverse. many users, many experiences. i just wanted to share mine: I came up to printer problem while using nord, contacted them via live chat and got help very fast. a big plus. about the speeds - it is a drop but just a minor, generally speed is nice. cheers

visiveri

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
Been using Nordvpn for a while now and never seen any drops in speed. To the ones who are complaining I suggest to check with their ISP

May 7, 2018
Big thanks to nord's support team! I'm a new client and had a bit of a challenge to set up it on linux as they don't have linux native app but the girl from support was so helpful and friendly! A big plus for great communication with clients. Definetely recommending it to others.

May 9, 2018
im on a trial, was browsing the reviews to decide if i want to get a longer subscription. thats weird you said speeds are slow - haven't experienced that . other than that, thanks for the review!

May 9, 2018
Well, my personal favourite is Nord. I'm almost always streaming netflix from different places in the world and did not once experienced any issues. Last summer I was traveling not just around Australia but Indonesia too and it still performed nicely, so if anyone is planning holidays in the near future - nord is the one to take it with you.

May 14, 2018
the good, the bad and the ugly…. nord is the good one! i really like the service and am spreading this new all around. big up and high five, sugar and spice and everything nice <3

May 19, 2018
NordVPN has offfers a great deal. $99 for 3 years. There are plenty of pluses with this company. I guess you get what you paid for. The one HUGE negative is bandwidth. When I was at PlanetFitness, I was using NordVPN. The download bandwidth was max at 500 kilobyte / seconds. When I disconnected Nord VPN, the download return to 6 Megabytes / second. I try reconnect NordVPN using different servers, but the results are the same. I am max at 500 kilobytes /second. I tried this at the public library and my university library and the results are the same.....500 kilobytes per second. The question is: Is NordVPN capping their subscribers at 500 kilobytes / second in bandwidth? I hope NordVPN is reading this and fix it because the download speed is too slow. ~ Alexander John Ung from the USA.

May 20, 2018
I have to wonder how people are measuring their speeds (especially those who say there connection is never slow with NordVPN). I just started with NordVPN and if I do a speed test I get 90M on a 100M service. No problem there. However, when downloading something real (a 180M update to software I own) I noticed my download speed was under 8M. I tried again with NordVPN turned off and my speed was 80M. I also noticed a severe slow down when trying to load Amazon Prime through NordVPN in my browser. The page would not even load properly the connection was slowed down so much. I don't have any problems for Netflix, but that's not a surprise since you only need about 6M for that (so "no buffering" for Netflix isn't much of a test of speed).

May 22, 2018
i'm never using public wifi without a vpn anymore as you're risking your personal data being leaked. who would want that? especially when there's a cheap and easy solution for that. that's why i've purchased nord, after reading many reviews online and seeing that it shines on different ranking sites like pcmag, thebestvpn etc. so far would give it 10/10.

May 30, 2018
Found NordVPN on a 77% deal so decided to go for it. After almost two months of using it (me and my girlfriend tbh because of 6 devices are available at once) am still happy with it. I would consider myself just an average user, torrenting a movie or an album time from time but not too much, felt a basic speed drop but that was ok. I keep seeing good reviews of it, a lot of my beloved youtubers are also talking about nordvpn that makes me feel even more sure about my decision.

May 31, 2018
I'm using Nordvpn as it's one of the few providers that aren't based in the USA. If you're choosing a vpn service mainly for security reasons be sure to look up where their headquarters are.. Nord is based in Panama, which means they definitely aren't keeping any logs.. good to know. In addition they offer features like double encryption, killswitch, cybersec to block ads. What more could you ask for?

Jun 1, 2018
Never leave a comment, but after the funniest chat I had with customer support, I thought this one deserves positive feedback on my part. In general, an excellent product that provides us with a much-needed security

Jun 1, 2018
If you need a VPN for your trip to China choose Nord. It worked great with all of these restrictions. My rating 10/10

Status
Not open for further replies.