NordVPN Review: Easy But Slow

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2018
Don't know how to check if your VPN is securing your data enough but I see the fact that my speed did not change a bit after I've started using Nord. For me it doesn't slow my usual activities and Netflix works almost perfect. Sometimes I just need to look for a better working servers but that's okay as there are plenty providers that are blocked by Netflix for sure and you won't even have a chance to stream it.

stuffdone

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
I have tested and reviewed a number of VPN providers. Nord has top notch support and reputation for no logs. While the speed has been slower on Android I get very good speeds on desktop. +/- 30MB

Since I plan on dropping my Comcast (hate those people) but retain my Windstream, I only will have 20MB anyway so no loss of speed at all.

Where I have had considerable problems with NordVPN is connecting to Amazon's site. You have to hunt around for a specific IP to do that otherwise no go.

PeterKendrick

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I tried the service but I too had speed issue, my Internet is slow in my apartment for some reasons and it made speed more slow. I had to switch. Bought 3 years subscription of PureVPN in $1.92 a month an it's working better with the speed and servers.

Jun 7, 2018
It failed out of the box; everything was installed correctly; authentication error and failed to connect time and time again after tech support said to make a password with no special characters; diagnostic log files sniff your apps and hardware from your computer - these are not good signs from a company that is supposed to protect your information

Jun 1, 2018
PeterKendrick your comment seems to be a bit unreasonable? Recently switched to Nordvpn from purevpn because it was unbearable to use. Can't see a reason you did that? Overall I can say Nordvpn is a joy to use, would definitely recommend to anyone

Jun 26, 2018
I just bought Nordvpn because I'm planning a trip to China to visit my family next month. Have anyone heard that China's government blocked many vpn services and now you can barely find a working one? I've talked with my friends in Beijing, and they recommended to purchase Nord, so I guess if anyone needs a vpn for China - Nord is the best option right now.

Jul 2, 2018
as a freelancer, working in different cafes and spots around the city, i use public wifi very often, so a vpn is a must for me. i use nord on a daily basis for protection and so far did not have any problems with speeding. never tried other providers, but i'm happy with the service i get and have no need to change it.

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
FATAL PROBLEM WITH NORD VPN

So the performance is excellent, the apps is good, and customer support is also good.

But the service runs ALL of the time - even if you are not running the application (such as when you are home and do not need a VPN, necessarily).

The service STOPS you from wirelessly printing and also casting media (like to a TV). The only way to fix this is to manually shut down the process.

Why is the service always running and why does it communicate periodically with Panama - for app updates? Why not do that when the app runs?

Jul 5, 2018
I'm in the U.S. and I get less than half the speed I pay my ISP for, with Nord. I use a MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad. My most recent tests showed 39 ms ping time, and 20.1 mbps download speeds with Nord running. When Nord is not running, I get 98 mbps.
What's worse is making connections when traveling. We recently traveled parts of Europe and England, and out of 50 tries, I was able to connect to Nord VPN 2 times with my iPad. Using a VPN on public WiFi is when you really need it.

May 11, 2018
This echoes my experience - I tried both PIA and Nord --I did speed tests 4 times with both - Nord VPN dropped my download speed to between 25% and 50% of no-VPN speed. PIA had barely any impact. I didn't need to know anything else. Although Nord seems to have better features and I like the App UI - none of that matters if it slows my speed that much. Plus, it turns out, there's no way to cancel your service and get a refund on the website, through your account. You have to request it by email. I don't like services that make me beg for a refund. I just wrote to them for a refund and instead got an email asking me about half a dozen technical questions. While I appreciate the effort to help solve the problem - I didn't report a problem - I asked to cancel one day after signing up.

Jul 12, 2018
Hmmm, slow? I don't think so! I wonder if this article is outdated or what? But anyway there're many tests performed suggesting it's one of the fastest VPNs in the industry. I'm not arguing here it's the fastest VPN since I'm not an expert but from my experience, I can assure you it's up there with the best!

Aug 25, 2018
other companies provide more than one port for udp, NORDvpn far too easily blocked -
other companies provide more than one port for tcp, NORDvpn far too easily blocked -
this company NORDvpn deliberately and randomly have several defective servers in the same IP RANGES that block many websites including the netherlands based website, the leak testing website http://ipleak.com/ and unfortunately this company NORDvpn have support people who do not know how to fix the problem - my support ticket was closed without fixing the problem, so very unhappy customer -

chathuO2

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
So I signed up for a trial and decided not to continue. But I was charged later on. So I noticed this and I informed customer service that I was charged because I did not confirm if I wanted to continue or not. I told them to check usage logs to verify that I did not use the service. Customer service rep refused to refund and cancel my account. This same issue happened with Torguard, except they cancelled and refunded me. (This is what they did politely. Thank you for contacting us. I have cancelled the service along with the corresponding invoice. Were you experiencing any technical issues that we may be able to help you with?)

Eventually I went ahead with Express VPN because it suited my purpose. I think NordVPN unfairly charges customers to make a few extra bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.