norton 1014 vs avast

w4rpath

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
currently using avast and my trial is about to end not sure if i should just use their free version, or buy the full version for 19 dollars.

the other option is norton for 29 dollars 2014 version.

I am not sure what one is better, but if I decide to pull the trigger what is more reliable and has better performance?

and are both the prices for only 1 year of use?

Solution
Norton is one of the best anti-virus products on the market. It didn't use to be, but they re-wrote it from the ground up about five years ago. Check any PC publication, like Maximum PC, PC World, etc., and you'll find that Norton either finished first or in the top three (usually first). It is fast, unobtrusive, and like I said, always scores among the best.

Having said that, I would say that Avast is about the best free AV. But it's not as good as Norton AV.

XtremeAero426

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Avast is better hands down whether paid or not. Norton is a horrible antivirus. The Avast free version will do as long as you don't forcibly download a virus on purpose. I used the Avast free version for 5 years without a single virus.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Norton is one of the best anti-virus products on the market. It didn't use to be, but they re-wrote it from the ground up about five years ago. Check any PC publication, like Maximum PC, PC World, etc., and you'll find that Norton either finished first or in the top three (usually first). It is fast, unobtrusive, and like I said, always scores among the best.

Having said that, I would say that Avast is about the best free AV. But it's not as good as Norton AV.

Solution