Norton Security Scan Uninstall. Aaaaaagh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

reconminicon

Estimable
Jan 2, 2015
Hi guys. For a few month now (on and off) I have been trying to uninstall Norton Security Scan with no success. I dont know how it ended up on this computer but I think it was part of a whole package. I have licenses for McAfee so decided to install it on this computer.

I first uninstalled Norton. There were a few things in add remove to uninstall so I just went down the list of uninstalling Norton programs. Now Norton Security Scan was one if not the bottom to uninstall and I just got the error message.....

A PROBLEM HAS OCCURRED THAT NEEDS YOUR ATTENTION: Norton Security Scan is curently running on your computer. Please close Norton Security Scan and restart the install or uninstall process.

I can not find anything running. I have tried to install Norton Security Scan again but get an error...

A PROBLEM HAS OCCURRED THAT NEEDS YOUR ATTENTION. This process is unable to continue because a previous version of Norton Security Scan has been detected and can not be removed. Please remove the excising version and run this installer again.

I have tried Safe Mode and also the Norton Removal Tool. Norton Security Scan is not listed as a scheduled removal in Norton Removal Tool.

Please help...

Norton Support

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Hi reconminicon,

Sorry for the trouble. Were you able to uninstall Norton Security Scan from the PC? Let me know if you need any help with that.

Thanks!

Dinesh
Norton Support

Dave Horne

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
I removed NSS from my computer but it wasn't really clear for me to know how I did it.

I ran the Norton Removal Utility, and that didn't work - the removal percentage stayed at 0 percent for at least 30 minutes. I tried that Norton Removal again yet after I rebooted my computer though the removal gauge stayed at 0 percent for about 90 minutes. At that point I stopped the removal process using Task Manager (stopping the process) since clicking on the X in the upper right hand corner had no effect. At the moment Task Manager stopped the process, the removal gauge then read complete or 100 percent.

I rebooted the computer and NSS seemed to be gone.

That really was a PITA; you guys should provide a removal tool that works with NSS. That NSS was inadvertently installed by my wife as she was installing Adobe Digital Editions 4.0. This issue cost me more than several hours. I was equally annoyed with my wife as I was with you guys.

SilverWolff

Estimable
Dec 4, 2015

Well is quite simple...go: TASK MANAGER / END TASK NORTON SECURITY SCAN "both of them :)) "
go: CONTROL PANEL / ADD OR REMOVE / NORTON SEC. SCAN UNINSTALL
You'll see starting to uninstal "but...!" nothing happen, will remain like this 0% forever...so... during this time open again Task Manager... go: TASK MANAGER / END TASK NORTON SECURITY SCAN and problem solved :)

Hope it help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.