Norway Tests Laptop-based Cheat-proof Exams

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Huh, sounds good, but exactly what cheating are they preventing? It sounds like they are only trying to prevent cheating that itself derives from the use of a computer in the first place. If the test were still pen and paper (with nothing else allowed on the desk) it would be just as good.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
yeah, how exactly does this stop anyone from looking over the shoulder of the smart kid in the classroom, especially now that his/her answers are propped up on a screen for all to see? or having another mobile device in hand to search for answers?

they are trying to replace vigilance with laziness. good luck to them.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
So you load a hack during the "off" time of the week and run it during test days to get past the software. Don't think some kid will not be able to do this. If he/she does they should give them a passing grade for the pwnage.

G

In my days we used to cheat with out calculator. Store formulas and text.
You could also place a paper outside of the reach of the camera, and glance at it between every picture taken.
Stick some chewing gum in the cam,
or just paste the cheat paper ON the monitor. No cam's going to see that!

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Stupid idea, Norway. No wonder Norway isn't famous and rich. If the laptops use regular hardware and aren't hardwired to prevent cheating and are in the hands of students 24/7, any student could hack it if they had the time.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]So you load a hack during the "off" time of the week and run it during test days to get past the software. Don't think some kid will not be able to do this. If he/she does they should give them a passing grade for the pwnage.[/citation]
Exactly. It's not that hard to do something like this. In our school(county: FCPS) we have testing done on PC, but you can't close or exit the app (or launch other apps), but you can Alt+Tab it if you have another program opened before launching the software lolz.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]computabug[/nom]Stupid idea, Norway. No wonder Norway isn't famous and rich. If the laptops use regular hardware and aren't hardwired to prevent cheating and are in the hands of students 24/7, any student could hack it if they had the time.[/citation]
You do realize that Norway has a higher standard of living the USA? In fact they are #1 or #2 in the World on every webpage I can find.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
In the great words of Bioshock:

"Sure, the boys in Norway's lab can make it cheat-proof. But that don't mean we ain't gonna cheat on it"

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
^because keyloggers and screenshots cannot be hacked (maybe by booting into a linux distro instead)

Please.

There is always a way around this stuff, you just need to have the know how

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Even in the advent of the computer. Handwriting is still a very important skill to have. Without those years students have excessively making use of handwriting, their quality might even be to an unlegible level.

The American Education system isn't lousy because of funding. Its lousy because of its 16 decade old curriculum. However, no career politician has the balls to change it.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]^because keyloggers and screenshots cannot be hacked (maybe by booting into a linux distro instead) [/citation]

Logging into a different os? thats dum, thats like dual booting windows, so that you can take the test without that on there. you probably have to use what they give you........and log into something to validate your system

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Im not expert at this thing, i was just giving a possible example. There are always ways to get around security on computers, it just the nature of things

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]Logging into a different os? thats dum, thats like dual booting windows, so that you can take the test without that on there. you probably have to use what they give you........and log into something to validate your system[/citation]

I was more thinking log into linux to change whatever files you need to on your hard drive that my be protected under windows, etc.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
oh ok, i get what you mean. If they really want to be smart, they will have your system have to check a server to make sure they are the exact files they want.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Screw that.
Keep all crucial programs on USB drive and/or a online database, and then just reformat the damned thing.

I'd love a free laptop though.
But I'd think a tablet PC would be better for a student. I've been trying to persuade my calculus teacher that for a while. My school pays $600 for a simple microphone (ha), so I'm sure a cheap tablet would be alright.

Give them a false feedback for a key logger or screen shot. ^_^
"Hey, why are you doing a history test during mathematics?"

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]oh ok, i get what you mean. If they really want to be smart, they will have your system have to check a server to make sure they are the exact files they want.[/citation]
You know how slow that would make these systems? Not to mention they will be pretty cheap hardware in the first place. So it would slow everything to a crawl if the complete contents of the hard drive were being constantly probed.

Not to mention VMware could easily overcome that. I just open up all my information in the Host OS, then virtualize the test. BAM, no screenshots, and no footprint.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This is much needed, but not for high school students - they should do it on pen and paper.

What this should be instead used for is in universities for programming students. Having to code a program on paper in three hours under intense pressure really REALLY hurts, and small mistakes like lack of semicolon at the end of the line can count as marks off - those things should rather be just small mistakes, not count for marks.

Trust me, I know this as well as any other computer science student.

G

I heard they are using "All In One Keylogger".
(Just a rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.