G

XP was installed on an editing machine I built for someone. The machine has a Pinnacle DV500+ capture card. I can capture dv but not analog. It says it doesn't recognize the capture device. And when I DO capture dv...it's like it's not looking at the DV500. Anytime anything is selected for the DV500 it doesn't recognize the device...but it's there. I mean, it can capture dv...just not Pinnacle style (or analog).

Please help.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Ok, silly question. I assumed you installed the software that came with the capture card? Most cards come bundled with all sorts of crap. Some of it is ok, but some of it you HAVE to install.
What program are you using to capture with, and have you gone thru that prog. and tried to configure it for the DV500?
You say you cant capture analog. I assume you mean from a VCR or a rally old camcorder? Does the DV500 have direct connections for analog or are you going through a breakout box?
Gimme some details, I dont know a whole lot but maybe I can help a little

year 2010: Intel? Whose that?

G

Pinnacle have released a new driver to work with XP
If you allready have it then contact Pinnacle tech support BY PHONE for help.

Intel / AMD - <A HREF="http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/white_news.html" target="_new">IBM are still the best</A>

G

Yeah, I installed the ver 3.0 drivers for WinXP support for the DV500. The weird thing is that BEFORE XP, analog worked just fine. WITH XP, analog does not work at all.

The DV500+ has two fire wire ports built into the card, and a breakout box that is used for capturing analog. If it were my choice, we'd throw away vcr's and everyone would have dvd players. (Vote for me for president and I'll make this one of congress' top priorities.)

I'm using Premiere 6.0 as the software to capture with. I've torn apart the manual and it doesn't say anything, as the DV500+ is built for Premiere, and not Premiere built for it...(actually, Pinnacle contracts with Adobe, as I understand it, to rewrite certain portions of Premiere to edit in realtime when using the DV500.)

Again, any help would be appreciated. I won't be heading back to Idaho for a few more weeks, so I won't be able to call Pinnacle until then when I'm sitting in front of the machine.

Thanks again.

G

Do a clean Istall.
Last things to do is Install Premier 6 and only after Install the DV500+ drivers.

Intel / AMD - <A HREF="http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/white_news.html" target="_new">IBM are still the best</A>

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Im not trying to be a smart a** here, but why not just go back to the OS that works for analog? You said "before xp, analog worked fine", so just switch back.
I have seen threads from a lot of video editors who have had various problems with XP. Personally, im sticking with windows 98 until God comes down on a cloud and dictates otherwise.

year 2010: Intel? Whose that?

G

2 out of 3 from my Video editing cards dont even have drivers for 98.
the one that have drivers for it have them also for XP. (Still I am using W2K)

I recommend using W2K as it's more stable then 98 and the have options for files larger then 4G

G

The machine is for an in-law. It was while I was gone that they bought and loaded XP. I still edit on Win2K. There was a recognizeable difference in the speed of the machine once XP was installed. The thing just doesn't move like it used to. But no, I would go back if I could, but if you have in-laws, you'll know what I'm talking about. I told them not to do XP in the first place...

Yahiko81

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2001
um.. just tell them they breeched their in-law tech support contract and no longer are entitled to free tech support.

<b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> for <b>THGC</b> Mascot!!!

G

Normally, according to Adaptec; either your firewire card is sharing an IRQ with another device or your files that are supposed to get accessed by your card have been altered by another program. These are 2 of the reasons why a PC will not reconize a video device. You can almost bring up any manufacturer on their web site and check out their FAQ page. This answers many questions that you might have. Kevin