Solved! Not computer savvy, Help

scentsyaholic

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Hello,
I'm a student looking for a netbook.
I need to do papers and such, and watch DVD that my textbooks come with. Games are not needed, and my teacher is requiring us all to have a portable hard drive. So I guess I need suggestions for both.

Solution
That's not what a 'Netbook does. It can do each of those....just not at the same time.

Here is a good deal on a 15" Lenovo G560 $487 Core i3-370M 2.4GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD and 15.6" 1366x768 LCD with Intel HD Graphics.
Lenovo Ideapad G560 reviews
Hello scentsyaholic;
'Netbooks don't usually have a DVD drive. What software do you use when you 'do papers'? Would you use MS Work, MS Excel and MS Powerpoint at the same time?
Can you explain 'portable hard drive' more? That's a really unusual request. Does the instructor mean no tablet or pads?

What is your budget?

scentsyaholic

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Well, I would really like to be able to watch the textbook supplemental DVDs. Maybe I should look at small laptops.
I probably will need to have Word, PowerPoint, and the internet up at the same time.

All she said was that she was going to require all of us to carry a portable hard drive so that we could save and share the supplementary films and animations for class that would overwhelm a flash drive.

I am ridiculously broke, but I can scrape up $600 or so. Less is best.

WindowsTeam_Kevin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
It doesn't seem like you need anything too high-powered. I found something I think would be good for you, the Toshiba Satellite C650 for $379. Should be more than enough for what you're trying to do! It's portable and lightweight. Here are the specs:

Screen
15.6" (1366x768) HD
Processor
2.3 GHz AMD V Series Processor v140
RAM
3 GB DDR3
Storage
250 GB HDD 5400 RPM

What do you think?

Kevin
Windows Outreach Team