Notebook upgrade help

Fasarina

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
For the first thing greetings to the comunity,
Now for the second.
I currently own a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 1536 with a basic configuration.
Now I'm not really good at video cards, well to tell the truth I don't know anything about video cards(agp, pci-e?) :roll:I simply didn't do that kind of stuff at school and learing by myself is, well, kinda confusing...
To get to the point, I want to change my video card, currently having a Ati mobility radeon x1400 but have no ideea with what should I change it.I bough this notebook for gaming only since I travel a lot and didn't want to confuse my work notebook with my personal gaming one.
So all I want is some suggestions of with what I can change it in order to make games run better.I runned a google tour once putting "notebook video cards latest" and it continued to come out the Ati HD 2006 XT but I don't think that "thing" can fit in my portable and I have no ideea where my current vid card is located all I know is that it's a MXM but dunno what that means :?:

Well cheers and hope some1 will help me with this cuz going to a provider and having no idea of what their talking about feels strange and I don't wanna get "raped"
If you need aditional info about my notebook ask (stuff like mainboard or other things) <--- I gotta look for them cuz I have no ideea

OKay, I did a google search on your laptop and found it's a 15.4'' screen. Right there that limits you in your choices. Most laptops that size are able to handle cards up to the 7600GT or X1600. You need to keep in mind that laptop graphics cards are not like their desktop counterparts in the way they look or connect to the motherboard. For the most part, laptop GPUs cannot be upgraded by the user because the cards themselves are hard to find and purchase. This is most likely something you need to talk to Fujitsu about. Send their support staff a question about upgrading and post back with their answer. FYI, MXM means mobile express module. It is the laptop equivalent to the PCI-e X16 lane on a desktop. MXM cards are the only type that can be upgraded, other cards are fixed into the motherboard.

Fasarina

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
MXM means mobile express module. It is the laptop equivalent to the PCI-e X16 lane on a desktop. MXM cards are the only type that can be upgraded, other cards are fixed into the motherboard.

You couldn'y see it but my eyes are sparkling again :D
I'll ask Fujitsu right away and post here; anyway I already tried to get some info on their form but all I got was a rude response,

quote "you bought a notebook. You can`t upgrade the hardware as you want.
The "graphics-card" is a MXM-modul. And it is expensive to change it.
You want to be up to date with your hardware? Buy a desktop Computer
or a better notebook with the latest graphics-modul." <--- it's not like I can afford buying laptops as soon as a new game gets out, and actually carrying the desktop in a humongous backpack thing doesn't sound intriguing 8O...
Just immagine beeing in an airport, your flight has been delaied, you go to "information" and : "Excuse me miss can you lend me a power generator for a couple of hours I wanna play some games"

...and I know I can't just change graphic cards as I like thats why I posted there in the first place :?

Anyway I'll contact them and ask, tnx for the fast reply btw

't sound intriguing 8O...
Just immagine beeing in an airport, your flight has been delaied, you go to "information" and : "Excuse me miss can you lend me a power generator for a couple of hours I wanna play some games"

...and I know I can't just change graphic cards as I like thats why I posted there in the first place :?

Anyway I'll contact them and ask, tnx for the fast reply btw

Hehe, I might have to try that the next time I fly. I wonder what the response would be 8O .

If Fujitsu won't do anything for you, I have another idea, but contact them first. And you are welcome.

Fasarina

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Ok I recieved a mail from the support team.
They invited me to visit their specialized technical laboratory in Germany 8O :?.
They didnt bother to simply respond to my question...
What's your other idea ?

It's his theme. If you want and this might be better, wait until early next week. He is currently changing servers and is updating his site. As a result, his e-mail system may not be working. He seems to get a few emails and doesn't get others. Again, this will hopefully change by next week. I also saw that you joined guru of gaming. My user name there is Eisen6faust if you wanted to know.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Hey, this is the guy with the cheese-ball site.

If you have a 15.4" notebook, you most likely have an MXM II module. The II denotes size. My 17" notebooks use MXM IV modules. These I can readily get.

LaW is right that you can't get that big of a module in there... probably like an ATI x1600, but even at that, you are moving up quite a few tiers in gaming performance... almost 3x the pipes an shaders. Here is a GPU comparison chart.

The problem is going to be finding someone who will sell you just the GPU. I know MSI uses MXM modules in some of their notebooks, also a couple ASUS models. ASUS has absolutely terrible customer support. I doubt you can even get through to them. It is hard enough as a reseller to do anything more than order from them.

MSI on the other hand, you can get through to, but you're going to have to try to talk them into selling you a GPU. The other thing that you want to look at is that these guys say they have MXM modules in their notebooks, but many, many times these are proprietary MXM modules. Make sure you open your system, measure the card, draw a small schematic or take a picture to send to whomever you find to try to purchase a card from. It won't guaranty they will even look at it, but they may.

My new Wakizachi SR will use an MXM module in nVidia 8600 variety (read Direct X-10), but I can't guaranty it will fit, or if I can get loose parts of it. If I can, I would sell you one, but again I can't guaranty it will work with your chipset as I am unfamiliar with the notebook you have. If you want to send it in I could test it for you first.

Hey, what was the help ratio from the guys with the non-cheesy sites again? Oh yea...
I already tried to get some info on their form but all I got was a rude response

Fasarina

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Ok it's not about the cheesy website it's just that well seeing that katana right after loading :?
quoting my brain : " WTF did I just broke in a yakuza secret website? Ommg I hope I become a nice sliced piece of cheese" :roll:

About making a picture of my graphics card well I should have said I have no ideea where that is since I never opened it and I prob won't recognise it even if I would, anyway I'll make some pics and poste them here tomorrow that way you can see and tell me( I did say I'm a "noob" at this :p)
And yeah I could sent it to ya to make the test just send me a pm here or mail me with the info right after you get the parts
*EDIT: Ok aftery going the the MxM II link I can now recongnise a notebook graphics card, I'll send post pics tommorrow with the measures 2

Fasarina

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
For those who are not sure if buying a laptop or not watch this video *just scroll down a little*

just bored and w8ing for my sis to get back home ....