Will my Windows10 Backup work under these conditions?

agents100001

Prominent
May 17, 2018
I recently decided to upgrade my storage space on my PC, but I’m worried with how things are setup that my system image will not work. I’d like some advice on two combinations.

My previous setup is one 120gb m.2 ssd as an OS drive, and two 1TB SSDs in Raid Zero format. I’m replacing it with two 2TB SSDs in Raid Zero as well, but cannot decide between getting a 250gig m.2 ssd to keep the original setup going or doing what I originally wanted and getting a NVME of the same size. (I have a bit of a bad tendency to put certain high storage items on my OS drive for convenience, hence the storage space amount for both options). I was also wanting to get a spare HDD added of like 3-4 gigs just to load video editing footage onto, but I was worried that inflict on my problem as well:

I’m a bit of a stickler for time due to my job, so every second counts to me. My initial thought was to get the NVME boot drive since it’s even faster than a m2 since it uses a different format than SATA, but the issue in my head is I’m worried that changing the hard drive type (m2 to NVME) since also the NVMES are located in different slots than SSDs)) will invalidate my Windows system image that I have. As I mentioned previously, im also worried that adding an HDD will do the same. My concern is if I change the locations/types of my hard drives or if I add add new ones that my system image simply won’t work. At the end of the day, my system image is extremely important to me, but due to private circumstances this will be the last computer upgrade/chance I have for quite some time (meaning I want to be super satisfied with my purchase). Can anyone knowledgeable about backups/computer building give me some advice?

Thank you,
Agent

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

I'd post this in the Storage subforum at Tom's Hardware. Tom's Hardware and Tom's Guide used to have several mirrored sections but they're totally separate now. You'll get way more help over there. :)

Reactions: agents100001