NSA Collecting Data Straight from Google, Apple, Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmem

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
well I mean if this is the government, the only thing we can do is sign petitions and vote people in who'll reverse these schemes...

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
@vmem Actually, there's loads you can do. The biggest, most devestating thing that can be done? Ignore the Government. If nobody obeys it, it's got no power.
Just like rules. If nobody upholds them, they bear no influence.
@Everyone: Here are leaked documents detailing how the US Government plans to control the internet. http://thedocs.hostzi.com/

curiosul

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
vmem, easy to say hard to do. Think about this:
Congress has something like 11% approval rate but since 1964, the lowest reelection rate was 1970 and 2010 with 85%
Translation: My guy is right, everyone else's is wrong. Hard to change anything with this mentality.
Another thing: I chose not to fly ever since TSA started scanning/touching people. Everyone I talk to (about it) says I'm right but they also admit that it's too inconvenient to do what I do. Same thing with Facebook.

flamethrower205

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
Is this surprising? Government can snoop my stuff all they want provided they don't leak it to the public...all they'll find is that I like big boobs.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
This is a clear violation of protected free speech and our right to take up arms against our government when it no longer is in the peoples best interest. They want to prevent what happened in Egypt...

curiosul

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
flamethrower, what will you say when someone decides that liking big boobs is immoral and should me made illegal?
When people say "if you didn't do anything wrong, there's nothing to fear" they ignore one very important thing:
That they are not the one deciding what is right and what is wrong.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
What I find more revealing than the story is the staggering lack
of comments being posted about it here. The freedoms and rights
so hard won by those in the US are it seems all too easily given
away in our modern gadget-infested me-me-me times; instead we
argue over gfx card pricing, or AMD vs. Intel. Funny old world. I
wonder what a surviving Marine from 1945 would make of it all if
he could be brought forward in time to see where it's all ended up.
I suppose it's always this way though. We don't realise how important
these rights are until they're gone. Alas, to 'protect' such freedoms when
they're under attack (whatever that means), they're often the first
things to go in order to give govts the powers they say they need
(careful wording btw, I'm not saying one way or the other about
whether I approve of such measures).
Strange though, the previous programme of this kind was said to
have been unworkable due to the sheer amount of data involved.
Are we to believe that this problem has been solved with PRISM?
If so, that'd be one heck of an algorithmic breakthrough. Kinda scary.
Btw Blessedman, that's only if you're part of a well regulated militia;
are you? If not, then that amendment right doesn't apply and you'll
just be arrested. Cherry-picking the letter of the law won't get you
your rights back, just jail time instead.
And amdreak, perhaps you don't know that Europe has had an
EU-wide police database for a very long time now, with data
sharing between member states. EU citizens have no right to
know what data is held on the system about them, and no right
to have any erroneous data removed.
The big difference between the US and Europe with these issues
is that in the US they're more likely to end up in the public eye.
In Europe it all goes on quietly behind the scenes, rarely openly
discussed in our media. Try Googling the Official Secrets Act,
for example, it's an eye-opener (parts of the act are themselves
secret - how beautifully ironic is that? :D), or even better search
for info on the UK's "D-Notice" system.
You have rights, you have a constitution, and the Justices of the
Supreme Court - whatever their supposed biases that the media
may claim they have - tend to be very determined indeed to
uphold the law, interpreting that valuable document & what it
stands for as best they can. I just hope the people make use of
those rights they still have to protect what really matters. I'm too
old and cynical now for the political game, but I admire the youth
who take to the streets, etc. The US has a long tradition of its
people not tolerating governmental b.s. (the civil rights protests
come to mind, 1970 Kent State protests, etc.); long may it continue.
Ian.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
(NB: sorry for the lack of text formatting in my previous post - the new comments
system is stripping out line breaks, and I can't edit my post to put them back in)

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
what's new....so much for the freedom our heroes have given their lives for...America....the land of the corrupt wanna be free

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Didn't D wave start shipping its quantum computers around April, you know the NSA has a farm of them instantly slicing through everyone's sad encryption. I assume much the same is happening here in Canada and around the world I thought I was paranoid before... bring on the foil.

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Didn't D wave start shipping its quantum computers around April, you know the NSA has a farm of them instantly slicing through everyone's sad encryption. I assume much the same is happening here in Canada and around the world I thought I was paranoid before... bring on the foil.

rupankur

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
If NSA collecting data straight from Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo, Facebook, PalTalk, AOL, Skype, YouTube, than 1st. avoid them, than go to other country server where privecy & freedom.......

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
For those that are outraged and want to sign a petition to protest - good luck with that, that is sure to resolve the issue - WAKE UP
This has been going on in one form or another since the 1950s, you allowed the Patriot Act to be rammed through by your politicians on the back of a wave of anti-terrorist hysteria, even though there was clear knowledge that it could be misused for this exact purpose and anyone who decried it was called a communist, a terrorist sympathiser or worse.
Reap what you sow, this is your own fault, you should have had mass protests outside Congressmens houses threatening to vote them out if they signed the Patriot Act.
Manic Street Preacher song said it best "If you tolerate this, then your children will be next"

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
America gets the politicians it deserves. But why should the rest of the world be subject to their fanciful whims? Clean up your Foreign Policies America; disassociate yourselves from the injustices in Palestine, Afghanistan, Pakistan (and all the other oppressive countries the US have supported in their quest for capitalist domination).

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Usersname - what has USAs foreign policy got to do with this? Important issue - yes. Relevant to this article - no. If you are comparing their spying policy on its own citizens against other countries, try most of the Arabian peninsula, Iran, China, Russia. They don't even have the pretnce of passing a law, they just do it.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Great! We pay $20M per year to Microsoft, Google, Apple, Facebook so they can spy on us for our government, after all, the government reimbuses these companies generously for this, wink wink hush hush. The same companies that evade tax by setting up alternate overseas locations. It's also funny how Obama is blaming Bush for this. Obama must be loving his precidency//dictatorship. Do every evil discpicable thing known to man, then blame his predacessor. And he even owns our "free" press to back him up. Also, what is IBMs stake in this? Didn't they just get majorly funded for a mass data storage project? Doesn't seem like that was really for SETI or LHC ventures
(http://www.extremetech.com/computing/94082-ibm-builds-120-petabyte-cluster-made-out-of-200000-hard-drives)
I wonder if "The President's Daily Brief" included a list of the most prominent conservative or Tea Party organizations, and if that info was relayed to the IRS.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
The problem with people today is apparent in these comments. People either become conspiracy theorists (the whole NASA, tin foil hat, own the media thing) or see it as a partisan issue (blame Obama/GOP). Unfortunately few are willing to look at the issue an act on it. We'll see dozens of comments decrying what the NSA was doing but few see the issue in a dispassionate manner and do anything about it, so they'll just keep doing it. If you really want change don't complain,
DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.