Nvidia driver 350.52 and up will freeze my computer on start up .

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
So this started about 4 months ago when I took notice of a Nivida driver 350.12 driver that is for my 640M on my gigabyte U2442N gaming laptop. It froze on start up and cause my system to malfunction when even the restore recovery wasn't able to fix it. While in San Francisco in May 2015 the people at Microsoft couldn't figure it out either why the Drivers where doing that to the system. I had to or I had no choice to do a fresh install of windows 8.1 Pro. But the only driver that i can install is the 350.12 and nothing higher. Now today is July 30th and windows 10 is now on my computer but as soon as i tried to updated the drivers for the 640M, it happen again. Nvidia needs to explain to alot of people why this is happening to some of us and what is the meaning of the drivers cause such headache.

My laptop spec is i5-3230M
8GB of RAM
1x 120GB SSD
1x 256GB SSD
Nvidia 640M

Does anyone have any ideas why this is continue to happen to me and others like me and there is no response fro Nvidia about this? I've read some topics of others that have written about the same issue and Nvidia fail to address it by fixing the issue with 500/600/700 video cards
Now I have the system back in running again with the same driver 350.12 and not able to update the driver due it cause some headaches. Yes just finish installing everything back on the SSD and all the updates for Windows 10 Pro.

stepes

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
Same for me. I have Gigabyte U2442V with the same GPU. I didn't have this problem while running Windows 8. But since the moment I installed Windows 10, I haven't been able to use NVIDIA GPU. I tried running the newest and even older drivers but without any success.

The only way was to disable NVIDIA GPU in BIOS. I'm at least glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

Grigory Sergeev

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
Can I join suffering ranks?
U2442N and any recent nVidia drivers cause the system to hang when attempting to log in.
So far attempted to disable services associated with nVidia to no avail.