Nvidia GeForce 840m Artifacting and Screen tearing after 347.88 driver update

Yaso nick

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
I recently Bought a Lenovo z710 laptop. After about a month of use i went to start up Battlefield 3 and i kept getting kernel driver errors.when i went into the Nvidia control panel the test display was freaking out. there were hundreds of green pixels and the geometry was glitching out. i tried everything i knew how to do. I reinstalled drivers, windows 8.1, and even wiped to hard disk and made a new Partition. I ended up taking the entire thing apart, cleaned it and repositioned the processor and heat sink. After reassembling it I reinstalled the driver and somehow everything worked. Even the CPU temps were consistent and never over heated. Well a few weeks later i installed the new recommended driver and it happened all over again. after searching i found out it had to do with V-sync. I turned it on a BAM it was fixed. well when the new driver came out (should have learned from my mistakes) it installed and went right back to the screen tearing and artifacting... even with V-sync on and every other setting possible. I retried everything and its still glitching out and causing any game i play to glitch out and crash.

This screen tearing only happens in GeForce experience, Nvidia control panel, and any game i play with the dedicated chip. everything else is completely fine. i can run games with the integrated Intel HD 4600.. does anyone have any idea what has happened with the GPU?

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9cRleJo4Z8QTG5XaWZyYTIwSm8/view?usp=sharing

Solution
The only thing you can do is get a new card. Artifacting is a sign that the GPU is struggling to output anything. I am surprised that you fixed it a few times thought troubleshooting but then comes back after the new drivers are installed. Honestly, if I were you, try to get a replacement or new card, unfortunately.

Jcomptech

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014
The only thing you can do is get a new card. Artifacting is a sign that the GPU is struggling to output anything. I am surprised that you fixed it a few times thought troubleshooting but then comes back after the new drivers are installed. Honestly, if I were you, try to get a replacement or new card, unfortunately.

Solution

Yaso nick

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015

Thanks you for the quick response.
The issue is the card is glued onto the motherboard and if you can find a new motherboard, it would cost $450

do you know how to remove the card and just add a new one?

Jcomptech

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014

I apologize. I just realized that it is a mobile GPU. You may want to contact the manufacturer for the Laptop and see what they say. I find that strange to see a mobile GPU artificating, It can happen. I would try to return it. There is nothing user side you could do to fix it besides get a new laptop.

Yaso nick

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015

thanks so much!
I actually already contacted Lenovo.. The laptop was under warranty so they sent me a new one. I now have two of them and i was just wondering if there was a way to fix it and resell it lol.

Jcomptech

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014

Unless you know how to solder things and work on circuit boards, then there is no way you could. You are very welcome.

Yaso nick

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015

one thing, i noticed there isnt much thermal grease between the heat sink and GPU. could that cause a bad connection to the fan?