joel4119

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm a long time browser and first time poster on this site. I've had my current laptop (Dell Inspiron 17R) for a little over three years now and have had minimal issues with it. However, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my graphics card's HDMI display output now flickers uncontrollably on my television. In fact, it gets even worse with more activity on screen, sometimes to the point where my television's display is turned off briefly when starting a video. I've confirmed that it's not my television's display port nor is it the HDMI cable, and I'm hoping that there's some sort of fix for this without having to buy a new graphics card. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Joel

Solution
Check for an updated BIOS, Chipset and video drivers from Dell.

If the issue continues across different devices and monitors, and the drivers don't help, you can try a clean Windows setup (after backing up your files) and setup clean drivers installs. If that still does not fix it, card is bad and you will need to swap out the motherboard. I don't think that the video card is removable in your model, but you can double-check and see if it's in a slot instead of being on the motherboard.
Check for an updated BIOS, Chipset and video drivers from Dell.

If the issue continues across different devices and monitors, and the drivers don't help, you can try a clean Windows setup (after backing up your files) and setup clean drivers installs. If that still does not fix it, card is bad and you will need to swap out the motherboard. I don't think that the video card is removable in your model, but you can double-check and see if it's in a slot instead of being on the motherboard.

Solution