Nvidia GeForce GT740M problem.

cosmomaniac

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
My Nvidia GeForce 740M is not working proper. I have a laptop with intel i5-4200U 1.6 to 2.3 GHz 4GB RAM . I tried to run NFSMW 2 on the lowest possible settings and even that did not work. The frame rate was just horrible. According to the minimum system requirements my laptop should run the game but i dont know why it isnt. Please help

Also I used a software to monitor my GPU performance (OpenHardware Monitor is the software.) and i got GPU core usage as 0.0% of 0.0%. Same is for the memory controller and the video engine. Is my GPU damaged? Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Your laptop has two GPUs (Intel & Nvidia). The less powerful Intel one is used by default to conserve battery power.

A game or application won't automatically use the Nvidia GPU until you configure Nvidia Control Panel to make that happen, otherwise the default (and less capable) Intel GPU will be used, which is why the game won't run properly.

Set it up here:

Windows Control Panel >> Nvidia Control Panel >> 3D Settings >> Manage 3D Settings

cosmomaniac

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Oh i did do it and still it just wont work.

Well that's strange, it works okay on my laptop doing it that way.

There is another method but it doesn't change the default so you'll need to do it every time you want to play that game:

Right-click the game's shortcut.
Go down to "Run with graphics processor ..."
Left-click "High Performance Nvidia processor"

Now try running that game.

cosmomaniac

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Done that too which is why I started to suspect that there might be something wrong with the GPU. It works but if you have played it, then after the entry clip when you get the Aston to get to the jackspot, thats where the problem occurs. The frame rate is soo damn low. Did you download the game or buy it?

I don't run any games on my laptop as I'm not in to gaming, but I do use graphics-editors like Photoshop & Lightroom extensively which also require a high-performance GPU, so that's how I know how to make the Nvidia GPU the default for those two applications.

I'm all out of ideas with your problem.