DatGoodSir

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014
Here's the deal
Recently I've had a bad chain of events happens to me. I all started the other day when I noticed my laptop on my desk had the dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen of death) I don't quit remember the error I think it was something like VIDEO_TDR Failure (Something along these lines) After some basic research I concluded that it had something to do with either GPU running out of memory or outdated drivers. I didn't think much of it until it happened a 2nd time. After some thought I figured that it was because about a weak ago I had went into my Nvidia control panel made the default GPU for everything my GT 740m, mostly because I was tried of changing it everytime I ran a new game. So to fix the error message I had I went to launch the nvidia control panel but then it gave an error message along the lines of 'NVIDIA Display settings are not available, an Nvidia Graphics card was not detected in your system' I decided to do a full reboot and sure enough when I relaunched the Nvidia control panel it was able to launch. I went into the settings, changed my system default back to auto select. and here is when the real trouble began. For extra ease at mind I clicked the option to revert my gpu back to it's factory version that was shipped to me. Shortly after I confirmed these changes my computer crashed again but this time with a different error. This new error was about system thread extension not handled This too is an error about outdated drivers.with my actions being rather being rater counter productive I did a system restore to 3 days ahead. Once this was over I tried to go back into the NVIDIA Control panel and do it right this time, but It couldn't detect my card again. In the device manager I was able to find my graphics card under hidden devices and I checked for updates and none were found. I've also tried to download them from Nvidia's website but the launcher gave me the "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue. The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware." error. I then checked some files to see if my ID was recognized (DEV number,Vender, model, etc.) I was able to find it in the files so I do not know how to fix this. Also I checked the device manger and under properties it said "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)"

I apologize for my lengthy post but I'm drawling a blank. Please help Thank you. My system specs are the following:

CPU: intel core i7-4500u (dual core 3.0 Ghz Turbo)
GPU: Nvidia GT 740m
windows 8.1

Also worth noting: I'm on a laptop. I'm not sure what model or name but it is an asus.

Solution
I've found out that all I had to do was un-hide my GPU in device manager and then uninstall the driver. After that all I had to do was reboot and windows re-installed my drivers for me automatically.

DatGoodSir

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014
I've found out that all I had to do was un-hide my GPU in device manager and then uninstall the driver. After that all I had to do was reboot and windows re-installed my drivers for me automatically.

Solution