NVIDIA GT 740M Underclocks automatically to 405 mhz while playing Games.

Laxmikant Kachhap

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
First of all, sorry for my bad English.

My Laptop:

HP Pavilion 15-n208tx
RAM: 4GB
GPU: NVIDIA GT 740m 2GB DDR3 64-bit
Intel i5-4200U @ 1.6-2.6GHz

When I play any game running on 740m GT; for some time it runs good at max speed(I want to mention that many websites show different values than what i see on my Laptop, but they are more than what I am getting),

GPU Clock: 1058 Mhz
Memory Clock: 900 Mhz

After some time(normally after 15-30 minutes) both decreases automatically to 405 Mhz for the reason I don't know, I need to shut the game and start it again to bring it back to normal clock, but the underclock happens again. I have tried literally everything.

1. Re-Installing the driver
2. Updating the driver
3. Completely removing the driver and re-installing again.
4. Windows Updates
5. DirectX Updates
6. Setting the game settings under NVIDIA Control Panel to Maximum Performance in Power Mode.
7. Reverting back to the Driver what I got from the
still the problem persist.

When the clock drops to 405 Mhz, and when I leave for around 30 seconds; the GPU clock fluctuates between 405 mhz - 700 mhz to a random clock speed after every 10-15 seconds, and the memory clock fluctuates between 405 mhz - 900 mhz at same time intervals.

Please help me with this.

Thanks.

Laxmikant Kachhap

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

The Temperature stays around 60-70 Degree Celsius for both GPU and CPU, I don't think that temperature is the problem. I have been seeing this value since I bought my Laptop.

Laxmikant Kachhap

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

The Temperature stays around 60-70 Degree Celsius for both GPU and CPU, I don't think that temperature is the problem. I have been seeing this value since I bought my Laptop.

Laxmikant Kachhap

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I started far cry 4 today, and as usual and after 5 minutes of gameplay it started lagging again cuz gpu & memory clock went to default low speeds. I just opened the GPU Z and under "PerfCap" it was shown as "Thrm" that means my GPU is Thermal throttling at temperature 64 C. But I saw the core usage is around 60-70%, so I decided to increase graphics in-game, I made it to medium from low settings and I saw the Clocks rising up as the core usage was reaching 95%, Increase to High, Now the clocks were always at Boost Clock, fps increased too, and no lag. Now I dont see any lower clocks at High Graphics, even when GPU-Z show its throttling.

Seems like its a power saving feature of NVIDIA mobile cards that on lower core usage the frequency of the components lowers, even after setting the power state at High Performance.

MuBruza

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
Hello, I have the same problem with GT 740M, did you find any other solutions?
I don't think raising the graphics settings will work in all games, because a lot of modern games require more video memory from the GPU.

Laxmikant Kachhap

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

I changed the thermal paste and cleaned in and out of my laptop. Now its running fine. However I broke the case from one side while opening it for the first time.

MuBruza

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017

I already did this, now I have a better performance but I didn't use the best thermal paste I could.
I'm willing to try that again with better paste but I think it's almost impossible to play games below 67C, which is the temperature my PC start to thermal throttle according to GPU-Z.

What is your max temperature when gaming after cleaning? Did you run any tests?

Laxmikant Kachhap

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

Max GPU Temp 67 C and that's the limit. However, I saw one one of my friend have the same GPU but with 92 C max. I did try to alter the value but there is no way.

I do face throttling issues on intensive gaming and poor ventilation though. For that I fix the FPS low using Nvidia Inspector and that helped keeping it cool.

MuBruza

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017

I guess your friend doesn't have a HP Notebook, right?
I think thermal throttling is encrypted in the BIOS or vBIOS, either way we'll have to live with this or hope HP Support will continue to answer me and send some method to update or unlock the BIOS Advanced settings.

Thanks for your reply,
Cheers.

Laxmikant Kachhap

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

He have an HP Envy. What I learnt is that we have been fooled with the name of 740M. Actually there are two 740M with different architectures, GK107 and GK208(Mine). GK107 is superior and its performance is nowhere near of the performance levels as the GK107. I wish I could have been in US and could have sued NVIDIA and HP for that. :fou:

The worst thing is that neither HP nor NVIDIA replied to my grievances. NVIDIA and HP, you gained a hater.

TRENDING THREADS