Nvidia GTX 1000 series

PhantomR

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
Hey,

I was curious, do the new GTX 1000 mobile series use the same drivers as the ones for their desktop equivalents? What I mean is, can you install drivers for the mobile versions from the Nvidia website or do you have to use your laptop's manufacturer's special drivers?

PhantomR

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
Oh that's awesome, thank you very much! :) Just to clarify, I don't actually own such laptop (mine is actually an old one, using an AMD 6k series ^_^), I was just interested to know.

PhantomR

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

Mine did not. I was not allowed to use the official AMD drivers (they would just not install, giving an error) because of the switchable graphics thing, as far as I know. So, is it different with these new GTX 1000s?

That is odd. Did you download the version that is compatible with your operating system?

I have a Dell laptop with an AMD Radeon HD 8850m GPU and I have no problems installing AMD's official drivers. I have another Dell laptop (Inspirion 15 7559) and I have no problems installing nVidia's official drivers for the GTX 960m.

PhantomR

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

I am pretty sure I didn't download the wrong ones. Besides, there actually exist some modded drivers (here: http://leshcatlabs.net/about-us/ , in which it says it's not that easy to install the official ones or so). So, you say you were actually able to install the official (latest) ones? That's really interesting.. I thought this problem existed on all laptops or so. In the "About" section I've linked, it actually says this is a problem for Intel + AMD laptops. Does your AMD laptop also fall into this category :)? Thank you very much for your help.

PhantomR

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

WAIT! Actually, I've just tried downloading the official drivers again and, SURPRISE , it actually workd. Wow.. I wonder if I did something stupid last time I tried installing the official ones. Thanks so much for saying that they should work :).

It is a Del Latitude 3540 which has an Intel Core i5-4200u (with the integrated Intel HD 4400 graphics core) and the Radeon HD 8850m. I have no problems installing AMD drivers. I updated to AMD most current drivers for that GPU (Crimson ReLive Edition 17.6.2 as of 6/14/2017) last week.

PhantomR

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you! :) I've actually managed to install official drivers for my AMD too (I wonder if I did something wrong the previous time I tried), sadly only an older version as my video card has been moved to legacy :). I'm happy to find out it's possible to use AMD/nVidia drivers for laptops too.