Nvidia Releases PhysX 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

They wont start using it unless it also works on AMD graphic cards.
The PC market is already a niche beside the consoles, no need to further
narrow down your market audience by going for a one-supplier graphics
card only technology.

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
OpenCL isnt optimized nearly as much as it could be, and having 4 different distros for it is way overkill IMO.

Kinda cool that they updated it.

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Nvidia offers PhysX 3.0 for download free of charge for PCs, the Xbox 360, the PS3, Mac OS X, Linux and Android. Needless to say, the platform requires a CUDA-capable Nvidia GPU.

Wait... what?

AEternal1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
As nickelthing said.......there's another aspect in which this narrow minded approach of software to specific hardware hurts nvidia. nvidia doesnt get its name brand out there by nearly as much...half of getting people to buy your product is to get them familiar with your product, and to get them to like your product. with so many oem companies just throwing hardware together because its cheap, there are many customers who will never know about nvidia, because their phys x isnt running on their machine. when those once uneducated customers decide they want better graphics, they will probably stick with whatever they saw on the pre built computer...but just a better version. if they had nvidia badging telling them that their current graphics were made better by nvidia software.....wouldnt they then assume that maybe nvidias hardware might be an improvement over their current hardware set...

youre not going to win over the accidental customer of ati if that system isnt running nvidia software.

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Anyone else smirk when you read get PhysX for free for Xbox360? I mean, NVIDIA must know the Xbox360 has ATI graphics...right?

cronus98

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
i thought you could run PhysX on your CPU (albeit not as well) if you don't have nvidia hardware. am i mistaken?

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
yes you can run Physx on your CPU or GPU....in fact DragonAge only uses Physx for projectiles, which they run on your CPU.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Titanius[/nom]Anyone else smirk when you read get PhysX for free for Xbox360? I mean, NVIDIA must know the Xbox360 has ATI graphics...right?[/citation]

there used to be a ati hack in the works to allow you to run physx using ati hardware, nvidia may have taken over that project so that ati users can get physx also.

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]there used to be a ati hack in the works to allow you to run physx using ati hardware, nvidia may have taken over that project so that ati users can get physx also.[/citation]

anyone else smirk at these comments when its been said in other comments that PhysX can run on any CPU....

tmax

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
So tablet and phones will now need CUDA? I like Physx but its not enough for me to use Nvidia for all of my applications.

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
What's this nonsense with it requiring an Nvidia GPU? PhysX is used in over 300 games, running on the CPU. Take a look at games like Mortal Kombat 2011 or Castlevania, they've got the PhysX logo.

GPU acceleration only works with Nvidia GPUs. But the physics engine is of course compatible with any multi-core CPU.

And to all the OpenCL whiners: where are the OpenCL accelerated physics? There's not a single game. GPU PhysX only works on Nvidia. That's not ideal. But OpenCL physics don't exist at all. At least not in games you can buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.