Solved! Nvlddmkm crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapee88

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
Hi all,

I have an asus g50vt-x5 laptop, running vista home edition x64. Everytime I boot up a game, it runs for about 10-30 minutes before the picture freezes for a second, then black screens and reverts to desktop. The game doesn't close, and in Arkham Asylum's case, i can reload the game by alt tabbing. Otherwise, i end the process. As far as i can tell, it only affects games. Some things ive tried:

- Rolling back video drivers to 185.85, both nvidia and dox optimized
- Installed win 7 RC, (pretty sure it was the latest one, reverted back to vista after it failed too)
- turning down graphics quality, (not an overheating issue, still crashes in mid 60s)
- Running in compatibility mode (im getting desperate, i know)
- fresh install of vista with sp1, disabling updates and not installing any drivers other than forceware.

My last option aside from RMAing would be to install xp, but i really hope to avoid this. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

For more detailed specs: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?afsrc=1&EdpNo=4786505&CatId=3444&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-VCT7z.01rlUZ2ForVqMwxA

Solution
Figured out the problem, apparently it was a software issue. The driver nvlddmkm.sys apparently does not update when a newer version of the driver is updated, here's the fix.

Go to the nvidia directory and find the file nvlddmkm.sy_
and copy it to windows/system32/drivers. Open cmd type
EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. Once done expanding, restart

Here's the original link: http://www.technologyquestions.com/technology/windows-vista/57075-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-responding-fix.html

I ran through one 3dmark test, return to proxycon, going to run a stress test later today to verify

escapee88

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
If you are talking about xp, no, the computer blue screens when I try to install the operating system. I'm guessing asus must have locked up the computer somehow, I've never seen a computer blue screen at that stage before, and I have tried to install xp multiple times. I also used different xp discs just in case, and it all failed.

escapee88

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
Figured out the problem, apparently it was a software issue. The driver nvlddmkm.sys apparently does not update when a newer version of the driver is updated, here's the fix.

Go to the nvidia directory and find the file nvlddmkm.sy_
and copy it to windows/system32/drivers. Open cmd type
EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. Once done expanding, restart

Here's the original link: http://www.technologyquestions.com/technology/windows-vista/57075-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-responding-fix.html

I ran through one 3dmark test, return to proxycon, going to run a stress test later today to verify

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.