Oasis: Rock Stars Should Appreciate Music Pirates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I remember somewhat fondly when the Smashing Pumpkins released Machina II for free to spite Virgin Records - they gave 25 sets (1 album and 3 EPs form the set) to their friends and asked them to distribute copies.

Not all bands are totally obsessed with money. If you make interesting music, people will try before they buy, but at least they WILL buy.

If there was more equal representation of various musical genres on mainstream radio, perhaps that'd help; I find it hard to believe that someone would pirate something off the X Factor, it's not as if you have to look very far before it's in your face again.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Finally, somebody can see that piracy doesn't Always lead to loss of income.

If some people can't afford something right away, they might grab a full version online and if they like it they buy it.

Well some people end up buying it..

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]VioMeTriX[/nom]you know back in the day my friends and i would copy tapes back and forth and no one complained. if i copy a cd for a friend, no one would complain. the only difference between then and now is in the information age they can "know" about it. but it is the same thing that has been going on for the last 40 years. i feel that once an artist has their music on the radio for all to hear (for free) it becomes public license. so i agree, downloading music shouldnt be a crime.[/citation]
Either you, or your friend had to buy the cd. So out of 2 people only 1 was stealing.
These days only one person buys the cd and hundreds or even thousands copy it.
1 thief does not equal hundreds or thousands of thieves...ergo not the same..

berserker29

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]maydaynomore[/nom]Either you, or your friend had to buy the cd. So out of 2 people only 1 was stealing. These days only one person buys the cd and hundreds or even thousands copy it. 1 thief does not equal hundreds or thousands of thieves...ergo not the same..[/citation]

So then when a major radio station played a song and "hundreds or even thousands" of people taped it, you're saying that that 1 radio station = hundreds or thousands of thieves? Only the radio station paid after all.

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]programmer_by_day_rockstar_by_night[/nom]Rap is by far the worst offending genre, as soon as anybody gets a record deal, their next 60 singles go something like: "Uh, yeah, I has money, gold-plated grill, da lambo in da garage.... etc...."I'd rather have my vision of music played far and wide than to become rich off of it.[/citation]
HAHA, you hit the nail on the head. Was thinking the EXACT same thing. Most of the music that is pushed in radio and video format across all genres nowadays belong solely in the clubs, not shoved on the airwaves. When the 90's ended it seemed like my beloved Hip Hop took a turn for flash over substance. Im not very old myself, but kids REALLY don't know how bad it is...Justin Beiber? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

strikor

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I agreed with the latest comments. I am not that old neither (25) and just checked Justin Bieber on Youtube...OMG! No instruments, bling bling, stupid lyrics and 16-y-old kid with poker face...74m visits on YouTube?? wtf...however I must admit Bieber-like artists already existed in the 90s and he is just 16, so I don't blame him....at his age, I was in the mosh with Sepultura, Metallica or listening to Strauss (at least they mastered some instruments/composition).

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
"An illegally downloaded album could lead to an eventual purchase, followed by subsequent purchases of previous albums and related merchandise."

How much more naive could you possibly get?

ddt529

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I agree. If you like an artist, you are supporting them far more by buying a t-shirt or concert ticket than getting a CD or buying a track off iTunes. Viva la P2P!

G

If you like an artist, go to the concerts and buy T-shirts. Most never make a dime off their CD sales. That's why the labels are the ones so pissed about pirated music.

Even for those artists that are adamantly against music piracy, they virtually all admit that concerts are where they make their money. Piracy hurts the music labels, who have abused their position of power for enough decades that listeners and musicians alike are seeking alternative methods of distribution/consumption.

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
The problem is with not buying the CD, we tend to forget the other people who jobs rely on CD sales. Remember, all money isn't going to the artist. You have to pay for copyrights, all the engineers, marketing (if there is any), trademarks, production factories, etc. I mean, if you like it, buy it. Is $10 really alot. There is people that spends more on drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.