Obama Admin Wants to Allow Web Wiretapping

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I for one am willing to tolerate the odd bombing / terrorist attack if it means that I can retain my freedom. My privacy is worth the 0.0000001% chance of being killed by terrorists. What's the point in being safe if it comes at the cost of your freedom/privacy?[/citation]

Amen to that.

I am also against the TSA zealots. The new cockpit doors pretty much made planes impossible to hijack. But they still have beyond ridiculous policies. All that security is making traveling an expensive pain in the ass while only providing an FALSE SENSE of security to the sheeple who approve of it...

We should we dump billions upon billions down the drain to prevent a few bombs here and there. Anyway if we didn't react like we do there will be no point in bombing stuff in the first place. We are losing this war because most of us are succumbing to fear. In case you never opened a dictionary before it is the goal of terrorism... Terrorism used to mean something before it became a slang word used by the many media and governments as a sensationalist way to kill dissension.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Amen to that. I am also against the TSA zealots. The new cockpit doors pretty much made planes impossible to hijack. But they still have beyond ridiculous policies. All that security is making traveling an expensive pain in the ass while only providing an FALSE SENSE of security to the sheeple who approve of it...We should we dump billions upon billions down the drain to prevent a few bombs here and there. Anyway if we didn't react like we do there will be no point in bombing stuff in the first place. We are losing this war because most of us are succumbing to fear. In case you never opened a dictionary before it is the goal of terrorism... Terrorism used to mean something before it became a slang word used by the many media and governments as a sensationalist way to kill dissension.[/citation]
Exactly, if you're that afraid of terrorists you'd better stop driving, crossing the street, or pretty much leaving your house at all because you're more likely to die getting stuck by lightning that in a terrorist attack.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
To further illustrate my point, the odds of dying are:

Heart Disease
1-in-5

Cancer
1-in-7

Stroke
1-in-23

Accidental Injury
1-in-36

Motor Vehicle Accident*
1-in-100

Intentional Self-harm (suicide)
1-in-121

Falling Down
1-in-246

Assault by Firearm
1-in-325

Fire or Smoke
1-in-1,116

Natural Forces (heat, cold, storms, quakes, etc.)
1-in-3,357

Electrocution
1-in-5,000

Drowning
1-in-8,942

Air Travel Accident
1-in-20,000

Flood (included also in Natural Forces above)
1-in-30,000

Legal Execution
1-in-58,618

Tornado (included also in Natural Forces above)
1-in-60,000

Lightning Strike (included also in Natural Forces above)
1-in-83,930

Snake, Bee or other Venomous Bite or Sting
1-in-100,000

Earthquake (included also in Natural Forces above)
1-in-131,890

Dog Attack
1-in-147,717

Asteroid Impact
1-in-200,000

Tsunami
1-in-500,000

Fireworks Discharge
1-in-615,488

and Terrorism
1-in-9,300,000

Sources:
http://www.livescience.com/environment/050106_odds_of_dying.html
http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/07/13/the_six_most_feared_but_least_likely_causes_of_death.htm

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
gm0n3y: You make some very good points, and I don't disagree with your arguments. However, something in the statistics you cited caught my eye:

Death by Asteroid impact: 1-in-200,000

There are no known cases of anyone being hit and killed by an asteroid/meteor... ever. There are a few stories that hail from centuries, or even millenia ago of people be killed by rocks that fell from the sky. But as these reports are neither confirmed, nor (assuming they are true) are the origins of the falling rocks verified as meteors (they could be from a volcanic eruption or who knows what), we really can't consider them.

So how in the hell did they arrive at odds of 1:200,000? Suffice it to say, the odds are vanishingly small.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This reminds me of work. We used to get an hour lunch. Somebody screwed up and the boss got pissed and mandated a half hour lunch, which was what was in our union contract anyway. So, since we were "used" to getting an hour, everyone was up in arms, pissed off when in reality we were stealing 100's of hours a year. I am actually glad we have shorter lunch's now. I don't get nearly as tired when going back to work. Anyway, we all know this is going to happen with the way information is passed around. From MY point of view, everyone has been spoiled for far too long. These types of laws are IMMINENT. They HAVE to been implemented! Your smartphone, house and laptop are not the only thing that exists in this world!

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]To further illustrate my point, the odds of dying are:Heart Disease1-in-5Cancer1-in-7Stroke1-in-23Accidental Injury1-in-36Motor Vehicle Accident*1-in-100Intentional Self-harm (suicide)1-in-121Falling Down1-in-246Assault by Firearm1-in-325Fire or Smoke1-in-1,116Natural Forces (heat, cold, storms, quakes, etc.)1-in-3,357Electrocution1-in-5,000Drowning1-in-8,942Air Travel Accident1-in-20,000Flood (included also in Natural Forces above)1-in-30,000Legal Execution1-in-58,618Tornado (included also in Natural Forces above)1-in-60,000Lightning Strike (included also in Natural Forces above)1-in-83,930Snake, Bee or other Venomous Bite or Sting1-in-100,000Earthquake (included also in Natural Forces above)1-in-131,890Dog Attack1-in-147,717Asteroid Impact1-in-200,000Tsunami1-in-500,000Fireworks Discharge1-in-615,488and Terrorism1-in-9,300,000Sources:http://www.livescience.com/environ [...] dying.htmlhttp://www.sixwise.com/newsletters [...] _death.htm[/citation]Fill in the missing information. I think it would be funny if laws were based on erroneous bullsh!t like this.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]That's exactly how Government works; chip away a little bit at a time.If this doesn't pass, they'll water down the bill until it does. Once everyone gets used to the new invasion of privacy they'll try and chip away your freedoms with another outrageous bill that will get watered down until it just fits inside the realm of acceptable - a bit further along than the last one. Lather, rinse, repeat.People are quite happy to give up freedom as long as it happens gradually and as long as it has a terrifying justification.[/citation]
Exactly so.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]razorblaze42[/nom]Google saves every search you make on the internet, tracker programs log every key stroke and catalogs every product you look at online and caters ads to your taste personally.... yet the government wants to track online terrorist suspects that are dead set on killing every single American and you have a problem with this? go figure.[/citation]

I like the idea of catching terrorists. But how is it decided if someone's a terrorist before they've been convicted for a crime? I'm more afraid of our government overstepping its bounds than terrorists "killing every single American". Really, 9/11 killed ~3,000 people. How many times more died in Iraq? How many times more were killed in car accidents last year? Fear of terrorism is irrational. However, if you can convince a judge to issue warrant due to actual evidence, then go ahead and inspect whatever email you want.

Donuts

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
@kikireeki
"Welcome to the Third World!"

To be honest, I think the 3rd world has one-up on American. We typically do not have the budgets to impliment this sort of capability and therefore the government has no interest in this type of monitoring. We have our issues for sure but its more about corruption and crime.

G

KKK invasion tomshardware.com?
obama is another great president to clear up your mass. damit. you should thank god that he got elected. or else let an 80 years old man to became your president and 40 old woman as your backup....... funny.

suisenbenjo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
gm0n3y put it best. If you're not afraid of tsunamis or fireworks killing you, then you're a moron if you care about terrorists. Also, what do you think they do it for? To incite TERROR. So when you use them as an excuse to strip away our freedoms and change who we are as a nation, they win. Just ignore the cowards and their lives had no meaning.

G

They are stupid!
If you know that those major services are wiretapped, aren't you going to use a specialized p2p program over the TOR network?

No way they'll be able to trace that!

G

on top of that, you could use a P2p program that allows chatting with encryption; or you could encrypt the signal upto 1024 bits...
I'm sure supercomputers can crack that, but it'll take weeks to crack.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]on top of that, you could use a P2p program that allows chatting with encryption; or you could encrypt the signal upto 1024 bits...I'm sure supercomputers can crack that, but it'll take weeks to crack.[/citation]
Encryption is not effective when used that way. It would be pretty much the following:

Client: I am ABC and I wanna talk to your port XYZ.
Server: Okay.
Client: I also want to talk to your port with encryption. Here comes the key to talk to me.
Server: Fine. Here comes the key for you to talk to me as well.
(...)

While the example is too simple to match the encrytion protocol it tells the flaw which is the possibility of disclosure of that negotiation. If the data is read since that part all the following data is decrypted with absolutely no need for complex software and hardware.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]nexus9113[/nom]So they want 4Chan to target them next??? That's what I get from this article.[/citation]
1 thing is to hit RIAA, another is to hit the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.