OC'ing to unlock hidden cores...

CompGee

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Hi, everybody! I am wanting to overclock my CPU to unlock hidden cores to help make my system run faster. Does anybody know any way to unlock those hidden cores? Thanks!
NOTE: Going to be updating CPU-Z signatures soon.

Solution

I believe that they're locked out in non-reprogrammable microcode, in the same way that Hyperthreading, various instruction extensions and the extra cache is disabled.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
What CPU do you have? Only a few can be unlocked and there is no guarentee that those cores will work. On the Phenom II's it was about a 20-30% chance of getting a bonus core.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Will depend on what cpu you have and if your motherboard supports core unlocking.

As far as I know you can't unlock cores on intel cpus, a select few amd cpus can be unlocked but it is never a guarrentee they will function correctly.

JimF_35

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

I wonder if Intel actually physically cut the extra cores with a laser like they use to do with the old 486 SX chips when the cut out the floating point processor. I guess not. Sorry for going off topic.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

I believe that they're locked out in non-reprogrammable microcode, in the same way that Hyperthreading, various instruction extensions and the extra cache is disabled.

Solution