hassamayaz

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
I am currently working on setting up a Virtual Reality activity for education, using the headsets Oculus Rift. I have got 56 Oculus rifts setup in our lab with dell precision PCs. The PC's are registered on our network and multiple users will be using these devices.

One issue I came across with Oculus is that every user has to setup the Oculus software individually on every login. That is whenever a user logs in on a new computer, he has to setup Oculus for himself.

To be precise, if "user A" logs in and sets up Oculus at "PC 1", "User B" can just login on the same "PC 1" without having to setup Oculus.

Current situation is that when "User A" logs into "PC 1" and sets up Oculus, it saves the setting forever(this is perfect). BUT when the same user logs in on "PC 2", he has to setup the Oculus software again. Similarly, when "User B" logs in on "PC 1" now, he has to setup Oculus again for himself. Ideally, we would want to setup the Oculus once on every PC, and it sets up the software for every user. Does anyone have a solution to that?

Solution
Tom's Hardware is the name of the site, my name isn't Tom! :p
Do they have cloud storage for their individual users?
Most schools and Unis do.
If not, they could set up drop boxes, one drives, google drives etc.

In the long run it is also the best solution, of all the students that come through, each can individually store their data on the cloud while not having to muck around with logins every time, unfortunately it appears to be the only solution. Rifts were not designed with mass class use as a primary focus, they are generally targeted towards personal use and entertainment as of now.
The Vive would have been a better choice for this.

Chugalug_

Estimable
Its all in house at at oculus in regards to the client, so not much I can do for you there.
Alternatively, why not have the rifts assigned to each PC logged into individual network users separate from the profiles of the actual students that are intended purely to be used with the rifts.

hassamayaz

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

Thankyou for the response Tom. That is our last resort. Ideally we would want the students to log into their own accounts and save their work they have done in the session.

Chugalug_

Estimable
Tom's Hardware is the name of the site, my name isn't Tom! :p
Do they have cloud storage for their individual users?
Most schools and Unis do.
If not, they could set up drop boxes, one drives, google drives etc.

In the long run it is also the best solution, of all the students that come through, each can individually store their data on the cloud while not having to muck around with logins every time, unfortunately it appears to be the only solution. Rifts were not designed with mass class use as a primary focus, they are generally targeted towards personal use and entertainment as of now.
The Vive would have been a better choice for this.

Solution

hassamayaz

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

Unfortunately, we don't have a cloud based storage as of now.