Oculus Names John Carmack As New CTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

therickmu25

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
What this means to me is that the Rift is actually a serious player now. Before it was something I wanted but really doubted how long it would take to be fully released and have support.

I trust Carmack and honestly if I had to pick one mind to work on this, it would be him. If he's seirous about it which it seems like he is, I have no doubt this is going to be incredible. I'm looking forward to this device more than anything else I have been related to gaming in years.

HyperionLight

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
And the surprise thing about this is...?

I do hope with him on the team VR will be more than just a passing thought.

But what does this mean for Doom 4 and Rage 2 or Quake for that matter?

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
When is the man going to sleep? When I first read the headline, I thought this was the end of his days at id. Apparently not... but hopefully his talents won't be pulled too thin between all his ventures.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
The fact of the matter is that Oculus is taking waaaayyyyy too long to get to market. The engineering phase should already be done and a final version should have been ready for the consumer by Christmas this year. That is not going to happen now. By the time Oculus makes it to market, there will be other serious competitors with have there own virtual headsets ready to introduce...just saying...Oculus, you've been warned to stop dragging your butts and get the Oculus released for retail sale now!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@Ninjawithagun

there are already hmds out now, but every one of them is in the several grand range, even more recent ones that compete with the oculus are estimated higher cost.

oculus should it about the 300$ mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.