Oculus Vs Vive

Fufu__

Prominent
May 11, 2017
Need some help ive spent hours looking at both but just cant make my mind up so thought id come here for a bit of help :)

Or should i wait for the vive 2

Solution
If you have the physical space for room scale, go with the HTC Vive.
If you don't have the space, and you don't mind dealing with the Oculus store.. go with the rift.

The rift has more comfortable controllers, but it wasn't designed for roomscale, and to play all the games you will be using both their store and Valve's Steam. Also, Facebook is in a giant legal curfuffle with Zenimax on intellectual property infringement, so Oculus production could stop pending a court case.

My biggest argument for going with HTC Vive is it is backed by Steam, and the technology and cool shit that Valve is developing is freakin awesome. Right now these versions of VR are still Enthusiast hardware, so you need to go in with that mindset. Whatever...

John_561

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I'd say wait. Both kits aren't quite there yet. Of the two, they both have the pros and cons. The cabling is a big issue. I'm waiting for decent wireless. And they need to fix the motion sickness issue. If you just can't wait, I'd say vive. Oculus' proprietary store is a pain.

Sakkura

Distinguished
Maybe have a look at the Microsoft partnered headsets coming out in the coming months. Or even the LG SteamVR headset, though it's farther off.

But if you do want in now, the Oculus Rift is the better value for money. Both the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift are high quality, but the Rift is cheaper and comes with more bundled software, so it's a bit of a no-brainer at the moment.

Sakkura

Distinguished
Oh, thought that would have applied to the Oculus Rift as well.

The audio strap replaces the flexible strap on the Vive with a solid strap with integrated headphones. The solid strap makes the headset a little more comfortable, and the integrated headphones are more convenient than separate headphones.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
If you have the physical space for room scale, go with the HTC Vive.
If you don't have the space, and you don't mind dealing with the Oculus store.. go with the rift.

The rift has more comfortable controllers, but it wasn't designed for roomscale, and to play all the games you will be using both their store and Valve's Steam. Also, Facebook is in a giant legal curfuffle with Zenimax on intellectual property infringement, so Oculus production could stop pending a court case.

My biggest argument for going with HTC Vive is it is backed by Steam, and the technology and cool shit that Valve is developing is freakin awesome. Right now these versions of VR are still Enthusiast hardware, so you need to go in with that mindset. Whatever they come out with next will be far superior, but this lets you get into the ground floor and have awesome experiences.

In the end it comes down to $$$.
- Is the $$$ worth roomscale?
- Is the $$$ worth supporting the future tech?

If it is a NO to both of those, then go with the Rift, or the Acer version if you want to go MAD cheap.

That said.. moving around is one of the best parts of VR. So, I like the Vive. In the works there are plans to support extended amount of lighthouses, so it will expand the play area even further! Mix this with the wireless tech coming out, and what you have is FREEDOM! :)

Solution

Slumy__57

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
I've personally used both, and if someone offered me the choice to choose between the two, I'd pick the Vive. I played the Vive at a friends house with the roomscale and it was a really cool experience.

TRENDING THREADS