Davidas Pogosianas

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Hi for all,

I have problem, in HP Probook 4540s in bios i enable hdd lock, after restart it says put bios password to unlock, but when I type bios password it was "1234" just for testing. After 3 type in password disk has been locked, and I can't unlock or just format him. I try all software, HBCD, Gparted, Partiton magick, OCZ tools live. Also I try EaseUS Partition Master but nothing. I called for few friends one of them said that try mhdd software but it can crash fully disk. I try also HP tools for secure erase, but tools only for HDD. In HP page no info about SSD erase only about HDD. Also tried to connect to fiew diferent typer of computer but nothink.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
You need to disable HDD lock. Also make sure your SSD is being used in AHCI mode if possible. Those OCZ SSD's have been known to have issues in devices when they don't support AHCI.

My advice though, if you need to secure erase, do it from a desktop using the OCZ SSD tools. It literally takes about 5 minutes total. Actual erase time is about 7 seconds.

Davidas Pogosianas

Honorable
May 5, 2013

Thanks I will try, on few different types of desktop. I will post my results.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Did you try rebooting after 3 wrong password entries
The BIOS 'Locked' warning is usually just a warning and you can try again after a reboot

was a number or number letter combination displayed after 3 wrong trys ?
If so this may be checksum for password

Also note BIOS password is not the same as disk lock password

Dell laptops I am familure with have 3 passwords, admin , user and hard disk
first 2 stored in a eeprom or similar chip on motherboard and can be erased with software from Dell (not available to end users)
The disk lock password is stored on hard disk, and can only be cleared by low level erase
as said above use ocz software for this

regards
Mike Barnes