Office 2007 fails to complete install

Keither

Estimable
May 15, 2014
In the past, Office 2007 worked fine. Then it started misbehaving; so, I attempted a repair to no avail. Next I attempted an uninstall to no avail. Ended up deleting the directories and going through the registry removing all references to MS Office. When I went to reinstall Office 2007, it refused. It starts the install and then in under a minute backs up the install and announces an error was encountered and quits. I tried a friend's CD to the same effect. I tried his MS Visio 2007 to the same effect; starts to install then backs up and cries "error". My system is a Lenovo dual-core T61p laptop running MS XP updated to service pack 3. I reran MS SP3, updated the install program from 3.1 to 4.5 (max for XP), and even rewrote the DirectX (9.0 for XP). I ran spybot, malware, and even MS malware scan to no avail. I have now wasted 20 man hours on Bill's fucked up OS and apps and will soon go Linux if this continues. (I knew him when we were all in jeans at the Marconi Center in San Jose and he was trying to make us charge for our programs.) OpenOffice is an alternative except that it is not 100% compatible and my associates insist on Bill's kludged apps. Need to find how what is the problem preventing MS programs from installing without having to completely rebuild my XP laptop.

USAFRet

Illustrious
completely rebuild my XP laptop.

That may be your best solution.

Actually, no...that is NOT the best solution.
The solution is to ditch XP. As of over a month ago, XP is completely out of support from MS. No more security patches, no updates, nada.

XP had a good run. It's been 12 years. Time to move on.