Office 2010 Preview in July, Beta Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

brother shrike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I love 07, it just annoys me that they didn't upgrade publisher/access/onenote as dramatically (if at all). Publisher & OneNote could really benefit from the ribbon and smartart. If they do as well with 10 as with 07, I'll definitely upgrade.

xpont8

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
openoffice is free and they say the best things are free. ms really needs to make some dramatic changes with the new version to drive consumers back to msoffice

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I use Office 2007 but I wouldn't spend money on Office if it didn't come with my computer. The .docx has caused so many problems when I save something and then can't use it on someone else's computer, why doesn't it just save it as a .doc so it's compatible with everything? I don't see any point to changing the filetype.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I don't expect the "invitation only" version to remain that way for long. It'll be all over Bittorrent sites. We don't really have to wait for the Beta.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Isn't XP supposed to be dead?[/citation]

Lot of people are and still will be using it. And to get more sales they probably should support XP with Office 10. It wouldn't make sense to not support it when your a business trying to make money.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]I use Office 2007 but I wouldn't spend money on Office if it didn't come with my computer. The .docx has caused so many problems when I save something and then can't use it on someone else's computer, why doesn't it just save it as a .doc so it's compatible with everything? I don't see any point to changing the filetype.[/citation]

The new OOXML file types are open source and XML based. Generally speaking, the filetypes are smaller due to compression and quicker to open than the old binary filetypes. If you want to see what I am talking about, just rename one of them to .zip and open it up to take a look. OOXML is Microsofts response to the long held criticism that it needs to support more Open Source standards. While there was a lot of controversy and debate on whether or not OOXML was a true Open Source standard, it did pass ISO certification last year. Whether or not you like OOXML, I think we should all be able to agree that Microsoft shouldn't stick with the old proprietary binary formats forever.

G

Office 2007 is what finally drove me to switch to OpenOffice. They re-arranged all of the settings, so when I had Office2007 forced on me at work, my productivity took a huge hit that it never really recovered from. Not to mention an unacceptable amount of bugs/crashes from Outlook2007...

fudgeboy

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
hopefully 2010 will be less of a hardware whore than 07 (sorry for the language)
brilliant programs - they make life SO much easier (and they make me a decent amount of money) - but they just hold down the OS.

of course this could just be me (with an E8400 and 4gb ddr2 800, i think less likely, but maybe). still - microsoft seems to be on a roll - and i like seeing companies do things right!

G

That's great, but I'm currently adjusting to the recently released MS office, the office 2007.. i used to work using MS office 2003 that's why office 2007 is very complicated for me..

Status
Not open for further replies.