Office for Mac 2011. Word will not save.

Dylanben

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
I have a 6 month old Imac (2012) running Mountain Lion. I have installed Office for Mac 2011. I have tried to save a Word document and get a message saying that Word cannot save it as the disk may be full or write-protected. I have over 1TB free space on the HDD and a check has shown that there is no damage to it. I have certainly not, knowingly, set up any form of security in Office as I am the sole user. Has anyone any suggestions please as to what the problem might be. Thanks.

lonewolf7

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Here is how to fix this issue.

Go to Finder, then to your User folder, hold down the option key, then click on go on the menu bar (this action will un-hide the Library button). From there Library, go to Application Support then Microsoft, then Office, then User Templates. Once there, Locate the file labeled "normal.xxx" and rename it to "normal.docx".

If the problem persists try to uninstall and reinstall Office.

Dylanben

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

Dylanben

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks for this. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to these matters. Could you please tell me which is the 'option key' which you refer to?
Thanks. D

lonewolf7

Honorable
May 6, 2013
The "option key' is in between the Apple (Command) key and Ctrl (Control) to the left of the space bar. Says "Alt" on the top with that wonky line thing underneath.

Hope this helps. And I don't know anything about IMac, cause I never used it. Ha ha.

lonewolf7

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Did you hold down the "Option key" to unhide the "Library Button" ? I think its a hidden file which you have to unhide first, and then the sequence will work.

Make Google your friend, a simple search could do wonders. Or uninstall the Office package and clean install it. Don't forget to clean the registry entries too.

Dylanben

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks again. The holding down the Options key didn't do anything. I got into Library by a different route. This took me through the sequence as far as Microsoft but there was no Office to follow on to. Maybe I got on the wrong route. I'm wondering if I'm in the correct User File
What I have discovered is that it appears that the problem I'm having only occurs if I'm trying to save in a file which was transferred to my iMac from my PC.
I'll give it another whirl tomorrow. Your advice is much appreciated.

lonewolf7

Honorable
May 6, 2013
If that is the real problem then try to save the file in another location and copy it from there and paste it on your desired folder. And try to go by the guide exactly I posted earlier. I am not sure about the guide will help you or not, but give it a second try. You are depending and appreciating someone for advice who never touched IMac. I don't know what to say but I must say you are wonderful. Its like one blind person showing route to another blind person. Good luck.