Offline/Process notifications via Email or Text? [SOLVED]

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Hi, I'm configuring a low-power PC that is running a chat server and a few other always-on services. I have most of the services I want online and running, but the problem I'm going to have is that for most of the day no one will be physically there to reboot or reconfigure the system if something goes offline or there are internet/PC troubles. I don't expect these to happen all that frequently but if it occurs I would like to be notified. I tried using TeamViewer's ITbrain management but apparently it was just a trial and they want $115 a year to continue providing email alerts. That's way too much money to be worthwhile when I've only had one incident in 3 months (and none during the 14-day trial period that wasn't self-induced as a test of the system).

So I'm looking to find a 100% FREEWARE or very cheap (<$25 total or <$20/yr) application that will do this for me, (or if it's a relatively simple task, I can write it myself in C/++, or Java, just don't know how to begin). Basically there are 5 processes that should be on all the time, and the PC should be on all the time, so I want an alert if any of the 5 processes shuts down, or if the PC goes offline. Once I get such an alert, I can remote in, or if it's offline send a wake/reset signal via the LAN connection. Preferrably I would like to receive a text, but that seems to be less common, so I will settle for email if that's all that can be found. What's out there? I don't even know how to search for such a program, because searching for "alert programs" brings all sorts of types not related to what I need.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I've found a 2-program solution to this, so this is no longer needed. Here's what I found in case anyone else goes looking for such a solution: A friend of mine told me about these two programs called PRTG Monitor and Anturis Monitoring. Anturis is a cloud based monitor with limited notifications in their free plan, but it should suit my needs with unlimited email notifications. It detects when an agent computer is offline and sends me an email via smtp relay. PRTG can monitor all local services, processes, system resource usage, and more, and allows me to configure custom email notifications when certain processes stop running. Between these two, I should know if there is ever a problem :)