Offline Youtube Videos Freezing on Galaxy S7

leonyc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I recently upgraded from Galaxy S5 to Galaxy S7. Everything works great except one really annoying issue: many YouTube videos I download for the offline viewing (have YouTube Red) start freezing after a few minutes of watching. If I clear the YouTube cache and restart the app it works for a bit and then starts freezing again.

No freezing happens when I watch videos over the internet. The offline video would play for a few minutes and then freezes.

Here is what I tried to do to fix this issue:
- Wiped cache partition
- Reinstalled YouTube (disabled, updated to new version) and restarted
- Enabled Developer Options and Selected Force GRU rendering - this helped a bit, but did not resolve the issue
- Turned off hardware overlays in Developer Options.
- Turned on 4x MSAA in Developer Options.
- Cleared cache in Google Play app

Any ideas?

Solution
If the new phone is using a newer version of the app, you may want to try and see if you can downgrade it to a prior version. If it will let you remove any updates to the app.

Should that not be possible, or not help, next I would check what other apps are running at the time. There may be one or more that are using up your resources. Or one could even be interfering with the app directly. One way to test would be to restart the phone and then go into "Settings" and "Apps" then check the apps to see what ones auto start. Many do without people realizing it. Obviously you don't want to disable anything that will be needed, but anything that isn't, I would set to be disabled, temporarily, and when you have done this with all the ones you...
If the new phone is using a newer version of the app, you may want to try and see if you can downgrade it to a prior version. If it will let you remove any updates to the app.

Should that not be possible, or not help, next I would check what other apps are running at the time. There may be one or more that are using up your resources. Or one could even be interfering with the app directly. One way to test would be to restart the phone and then go into "Settings" and "Apps" then check the apps to see what ones auto start. Many do without people realizing it. Obviously you don't want to disable anything that will be needed, but anything that isn't, I would set to be disabled, temporarily, and when you have done this with all the ones you wish to, then try running the app to watch the videos. If it works fine, then you are going to have to go through and determine which of the disabled apps was the cause of the interference.

Solution