Oklahoma's Proposed Violent Video Game Tax Rejected

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
"I believe after hours and hours of watching the screen, playing the video game, being that person and taking on that role, people get desensitized."

It's like saying that after watching "Die Hard" too many times can lead you to gun down a terrorist organization on christmas day.

G

I support a tax on rap music. And dubstep. Mostly dubstep.

:disgust:

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
The stinking republicans have 2/3 supermajorities in both houses of the the legislature in this state and this democrat is making a laughingstock of himself. We're on the highway to destruction in Oklahoma and this idiot is standing on the accelerator.

G

Have you ever seen a violent French fry?

They look like one giant middle finger telling you "Bite me!".

So I did.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Rejected!!!!!! Kendrick Perkins was like yo politicians get that sh*t out of here been posterized once too many this year!!!!!

G

I want a tax on churches and other religious institutions. Some of them are sour apples (hello, Fred Phelps), which could lead to negative events (such as protesting military funerals and nearly causing a riot thereby), so they should ALL BE PUNISHED1!one11!!!!!1!two!

People are extremely stupid, generally speaking, and should be thoroughly screened for intellectual prowess and ability to establish causality before being allowed into any government.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
People are affected by games? Really? Apart from making me a special forces standard soldier, confirming my suspicions that I'm a world leading driver and that I'm an all round BAMF, I'm not affected at all!

Oh....

[citation][nom]Melchior[/nom]I support a tax on rap music. And dubstep. Mostly dubstep.[/citation]
Dubstep isn't bad, it's this 'brostep' that's the problem (the mass produced, ZOMGbandwagonGETONQUICK stuff that isn't actually dubstep but clings to the name).

This attitude towards 'new' music is also quite funny, I asked my grandparents a while back about their views on music (40-50's, big band type music), they thought rock and roll was bad (pretty much anything made after the 50's sucks in their opinion). My parents are on similar lines, 60-80's is their stuff. My personal views are if I like it I'll listen to it.

BattleshipLorenzen

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
This issue has been fairly controversial in behavioral research (along with violent television viewing). The research has gone back and forth, but the best studies, last I heard, did indicate an effect of violent media exposure (so not specifically video games) on aggressive behavior later in life. This was in longitudinal research after controlling for other variables such as parent history of aggression, child's prior history of disruptive behavior, SES, etc. So, using anecdotal data like the representative reportedly did is, of course, not a sound way to make policy decisions (wouldn't it be nice if politicians were required to learn the basics of science and technology [and ethics] before being eligible to "serve"?), but there is some scientific basis for the concern.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
"A gentleman shot a police officer and stole his car... He had been playing Grand Theft Auto."

I believe after watching the Matrix countless number of times I should be able to dodge bullets now...

Or

I watch sports every day, I donno why I am still out of shape...

Maybe not the best analogies, but each one of these statements ignores the underlying problem.

No, this man is not a gentleman because of the nature of the crimes he committed. He most likely is scum or has serious mental health issues or a combination of both.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I've always said they're (in some cases, just attempting) taxing the wrong thing. This was one of them.

What they SHOULD have done, is allow any age to purchase any video game. However, if the buyer (not the parent of the gamer) isn't age appropriate, tax them. This may force the parent to become more involve in questioning its content. Of course, even though all men are created equal, not all men have the same brains.

Status
Not open for further replies.