Old acer cant get past splash screen

Erland2000

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Hi,
Im attempting to revive my old acer aspire 8930 laptop. After some failed attempts to transferr another win install through image recovery, i decided to do a fresh install. The computer turned off during the install, and now i cant get past the intel splash screen, and i cant enter the bios, or boot from any device.

i was thinking it could be the cmos battery, as the laptop is around 5 years old, but i decided to ask here first before i take it apart. any thoughts?

specs
2ghz dual core intel centrino
3gb ram
320 gb hdd

previous win 7 working install which i booted with and tested the same day.
ive also tried booting with no cd, usbs attached.
removed battery.

any help is much appreciated

Solution
found the answer in this thread,
http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/574261-acer-aspire-8930g-boot-up-bios-frozen-4.html

it wasnt the cmos or dust, but something to do with an acer related issue, concering the bios. so to anyone else experiencing this issue,

1. Download the BIOS software from Acer (I downloaded 1.20).
2. Unzip.
3. Format your USB stick to FAT32.
4. Put all the files from the folder "Windows" that you've just unzipped. Put them on the USB stick.
5. Fn+Esc -> Start -> Hold Fn+Esc for about 5 seconds then release
6. Wait til PC turns itself off or restarts.
7. Win!

that worked for me
I'm under the impression that the laptop has never been disassembled. To that end, I'll suggest getting into it. Not only to replace the CMOS battery (which can't hurt) but to clean the heatsink out real well also. I'm almost thinking here that the reason it shut down during OS install could've been due to heat. If the HSF is nicely clogged up with dust bunnies and too little air is moving through the HSF, that'll be an issue.

Erland2000

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

yea thats a good suggestion, but does it explain why the computer wont even go past the splash screen, and i cant enter bios? i will try it out

Erland2000

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
found the answer in this thread,
http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/574261-acer-aspire-8930g-boot-up-bios-frozen-4.html

it wasnt the cmos or dust, but something to do with an acer related issue, concering the bios. so to anyone else experiencing this issue,

1. Download the BIOS software from Acer (I downloaded 1.20).
2. Unzip.
3. Format your USB stick to FAT32.
4. Put all the files from the folder "Windows" that you've just unzipped. Put them on the USB stick.
5. Fn+Esc -> Start -> Hold Fn+Esc for about 5 seconds then release
6. Wait til PC turns itself off or restarts.
7. Win!

that worked for me

Solution