Old amp, new tv.

DaSlug

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
I have a smaller led TV in my bedroom that has terrible sound. I want to hook up some old bookcase speakers I have to help with that problem. The TV has a headphone jack and a SPDIF jack for output. I have an old Realistic amplifier (SA-150) that I was hoping would help power the speakers. I think I have the hookup from the TV to the amplifier figured out, but the output from the amplifier only has a left and right RCA type connection. My speakers are the type that have black and red clamps. How do I finish this connection, or can I?
Thanks

Solution

Yes, each wire will have two leads (conductors). In some cases one will be wrapped around and insulated from the other. Depending on the quality of the cable, the wires may be thin and difficult to handle.

It shouldn't matter which wire is used on a particular jack. Just be sure to connect each in the same manner to the speaker jacks: if you use the center conductor from one wire on the red jack, use the same wire on the red jack of the other speaker.

BuddhaSkoota

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

You can purchase a cable with RCA plugs on one end and bare bare on the other, or do it yourself by cutting off one of the ends of an RCA cable.

31GNLqRNJRL.jpg

DaSlug

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
Thank you, I was thinking of doing that, but wasn't sure which wire would be the red and which the black. Does the RCA wire have two leads each? I will cut one up and see, I guess.

BuddhaSkoota

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

Yes, each wire will have two leads (conductors). In some cases one will be wrapped around and insulated from the other. Depending on the quality of the cable, the wires may be thin and difficult to handle.

It shouldn't matter which wire is used on a particular jack. Just be sure to connect each in the same manner to the speaker jacks: if you use the center conductor from one wire on the red jack, use the same wire on the red jack of the other speaker.

Solution