Old Digital Surround to New Samsung Plasma

Beholder72

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Need anyone to help...Please.
Magnavox Digital Surround System MRD200/37S Product# KQ000221008307 connect to Samsung Plasma PN60E530A3FXZA TS02
Would I just need a DAC? Or is this a doomed lost cause?

Solution

Lucky for you it's still an easy fix! It will cost you about $15-$20 USD, but that's a...

Beholder72

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

This System was my younger brothers...so, the manual for it could be anywhere...I will try to look online. Thank you for your help!!

Rocky Bennett

Respectable
May 25, 2016
From looking at both manuals it seems that the connections are the standard RCA type connections that have been used for over half a century. The connection is the same as connecting any phonograph player or CD player or any other audio device. If you do not have any RCA audio cables, Wal Mart and Walgreens and Home Depot and most drug stores/grocery stores have them. In a pinch you can grab a set at circle K.

Beholder72

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

Yes, that is the monster! But, the Samsung TV has only a "Digital Audio Out (Optical)" I wish I could upload the images of the plugs for each (TV and DVD Surround System). I was going to do this for my mother and father (both in their 70's) as a help...but, it has been an all day...accomplished nothing day.

Beholder72

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

Ok, for you maybe the is a piece of cake...but, not for an old woman. I have hooked up Stereos, Xbox, computers...but, this is messed up...or I've been looking at it too long.

Rocky Bennett

Respectable
May 25, 2016
When I looked at the owner's manual for your television it looked like there are two jacks in the back marked audio R and L. These would be the RCA output jacks that are connected to the receiver.

I hope that I looked at the right manual online for your TV.

DiegoD

Estimable
May 12, 2015

Lucky for you it's still an easy fix! It will cost you about $15-$20 USD, but that's a lot cheaper than a whole sound system. You'll need an optical audio to RCA converter, it converts digital audio to analog. So essentially the optical audio will go from your TV to the converter and the RCA wil go from the converter to the sound system header.

Here is one i found on amazon>https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Digital-Optical-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01AWBA8U8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472608573&sr=8-3&keywords=optical+audio+to+rca

Solution

DiegoD

Estimable
May 12, 2015
To clear up any confusion I made a simple illustration to show you how the setup would work.

pub

Just a reminder the converter will have to be plugged into the wall for power.

Rocky Bennett

Respectable
May 25, 2016
You might be right Diego. I studied that manual and the pictures and I really thought that I saw a pair of RCA outputs for the audio, but now that I study it further those RCA jacks might be input jacks.

Sorry about that.