Old HDD into new PC with no OS.

Mkschmitz

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Is there a way to format an old PS4 HDD to a brand new PC with no operating system? I don't have another computer to reformat

Solution
Are you posting from a mobile device? If you are, that explains your query, and the answer is to find a computer - a library, perhaps; maybe an internet café. Maybe even a local PC shop?. If you are posting from a computer, use the computer from which you're posting.

You'll have to make a bootable Windows installer by doing the following:
1. Download Windows ISO from here. Note that you'll need a valid license.
2. Download and install a Windows AIK from here.
3. Launch the AIK. Browse to the ISO you got from step 1, then insert your USB storage device (you'll need at least a 4GB capacity)

T_T

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Not sure I understand, but let me try to clarify. The computer you'd like to use to reformat the PS4 HDD has no OS. If this is what you're saying, then yes, you can make bootable USB with a Windows installer or use a bootable Linux of your choice, and then, assuming the HDD is installed correctly, you can format it.

Mkschmitz

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

Yes that's what I'm saying, I'm really new to the PC world so sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but how exactly do I get a bootable USB with a Windows installer if I don't have another PC to download a Windows installer into the USB? Thanks for the timely response by the way.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Where are you buying the OS for this PC?
And what version?

Mkschmitz

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

I bought Windows 7 a few years ago from Best Buy, I was going to install 7 and upgrade to 10.

USAFRet

Illustrious

So you still have the DVD?

T_T

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Are you posting from a mobile device? If you are, that explains your query, and the answer is to find a computer - a library, perhaps; maybe an internet café. Maybe even a local PC shop?. If you are posting from a computer, use the computer from which you're posting.

You'll have to make a bootable Windows installer by doing the following:
1. Download Windows ISO from here. Note that you'll need a valid license.
2. Download and install a Windows AIK from here.
3. Launch the AIK. Browse to the ISO you got from step 1, then insert your USB storage device (you'll need at least a 4GB capacity)

Solution