Old Lady Hacks Off Armenia's Internet with Shovel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Mattmock has it right. There was a comment by someone from some rail/otherinfrastructureheavyindustry business noting that given the lengths the thieves were going to, not to mention the collateral damage, they'd probably be quite well off if they'd apply themselves as much to honest work.

On a separate point, shovels are usually comparatively flimsy (I think) wouldn't she have been more likely to use a spade? I'm sure there's the "call a spade a spade" cliché for a reason.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
copper thieves are scum, I hate driving through a freeway in pitchblack darkness because some assholes stole all the copper underground. The most ridiculous thing I saw a few years ago, was when some of those scum stole all the water copper tubing in my neighbors house and caused massive damage. But with all that, I dont think the old lady should go to jail, at least let her free and force her to apologize publicly.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Zingam if you would've used black, hispanic, etc instead of gypsies you would've been flamed, and probably banned. You really shouldn't generalize that period. Even if it does have some truth to it. (actual numbers to back it up).

With that said, ok what she did was wrong. But 3 years is to much. Probabtion, house arrest, community service I would agree with for a crime like this for anybody. Unless their repeat offenders it's pointless to waiste tax payer money keeping them in jail when you could be making them pay. (house arrest isn't cheap, and the criminal actaully pays for it).

G

As someone regularly disrupted by cancelled rail services due to signal cable vandalism (copper theft), I'm with the "send her down" crowd.

Scum.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Nobody seems to care that the telecom can't build a proper network? Diverse fiber paths would seem trivial, and obvious, for a pipe as critical as this one was. Stupid planners are at fault here as much as the crazy old lady.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Send that theiving old bitch to a work camp! Sick of old peolple using their age as an excuse to be petty theives. "Oh they're old go easy on them." NO they have been theives for a long time by then time to make them work off 40+ years of theft that they haven't been caught doing.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
robust protection? LOL a 75 year old woman managed to find it, access it and damaged it. sounds like the perfect script for the next Mission Impossible movie about Tom Cruise team losing to an old wily vixen!

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Old ladies are not supposed to live to 80 unless they are filthy rich.[/citation]
Dude, that's pretty cold.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]Nobody seems to care that the telecom can't build a proper network? Diverse fiber paths would seem trivial, and obvious, for a pipe as critical as this one was. Stupid planners are at fault here as much as the crazy old lady.[/citation]
I agree, the old lady exposed a major network flaw.

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
We have a "Scrap Copper" issue in AZ too.
Illegals go to new building zones and steal copper wiring and sell it to the recyclers.
Pretty much what this lady was doing no doubt. She just mistook the fiber for copper until she cut it I am sure...

G

virtualban, let me explain something that may lessen your confusion. It's true that the internet protocol was designed to accommodate multiple transmission paths, and that is why you have the roughly accurate idea that the "internetz" is designed to withstand disruption. HOWEVER, design and implementation are two different things. Obviously, in those countries, whoever implemented their connection did not do it in a way that incorporated multiple paths. "The internet" is not a company that comes and installs a service. It is a set of protocols that, used correctly, result in a reliable network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS