Old Laptop - Shutting down issues

Magically

Estimable
Oct 18, 2014
I am having a little bit of trouble,
I have an old Dell Studio here which currently has Windows 7 installed on it. I have opened it up in the past and looked at the components inside for the fun and cleared the dust out of the fan.

Currently I managed to install Ubuntu onto it, how ever I have an issue. The laptop randomly shuts down when I am using it for example, browsing the internet or doing something else. How ever the computer doesn't crash when it is idle. I can have it sitting idle without any issues. Please note I was also having this issue when Windows 7 was still installed. How ever it shut down as soon as it got to the log on screen.

Is it possible that I could have damaged or nudged something inside the machine which causes it to shut down when I use it? I did take the internal hard drive out to take out a bit of dust under neath it. How ever I did so carefully.

I am running it on direct power and not on the battery since the battery died a long time ago.

Current suggestions from people on other forums etc:
Re-partion the hard-drive and re-install Ubuntu.

Thanks so much to who ever helps me fix it, would be pretty cool to have this laptop running Ubuntu for family use.

Magically

Estimable
Oct 18, 2014
I think it's an issue in the hard ware considering the crashes also occurred in Windows 7. Perhaps there is dust in places where it shouldn't be.

Magically

Estimable
Oct 18, 2014
I believe this issue has been resolved. The screws securing the CPU Chip down were loose. I think this is what caused the shut downs to happen

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 5
F Laptop Tech Support 5
jankeza Laptop Tech Support 9
S Laptop Tech Support 0
Z Laptop Tech Support 0
Haika Laptop Tech Support 0
B Laptop Tech Support 0
M Laptop Tech Support 15
WannaKnowWhy Laptop Tech Support 2
Fercho0316 Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 4