Old Sony Vaio help

Mrv03

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
The laptop's fan on the underside i can see is not spinning, and I'm not for sure but i don't think the rear exhaust fan is working either. I've looked online and i seen the replacement fan on the one on the bottom is like 80 bucks, but seeing how i don't think the rear one is working either I'm thinking something else might be wrong. The computer works for a bit but obviously it shuts itself off after a little bit due to overheating. I installed speedfan and it didn't detect any fans and only one temp that was like 45C at the most. I just want to see what's the cheapest option to get it fixed to use on break in between classes. The model of the laptop is PCG-GRT260G.

How old is this machine - the spec appears to date it at about six years? Even so, it could be worth repairing. The problem is if one fan broke down and went unnoticed, the resulting overheat may have caused all sorts of circuitry havoc, leading to the other fan stopping and possibly other things as well. Have you got a local repairer who'd charge a small amount to explore the insides and give you a reliable estimate?

Mrv03

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
no exactly sure on how long we've had it but, this laptop was actually repaired in the past for fan(s) gone bad I'm not sure if it was just 1 or not. I have a friend who knows someone who owns a repair shop i think.. Have no idea of the cost, i feel comfortable opening it up and all that stuff, is there anything i can do to diagnose it at all?

Mrv03

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Ok i opened it up and it turns out its just 1 fan that has gone bad. i hooked the other working fan into the spot were the not working fan was, and it worked so the port it plugs into is working fine. i just need new fan now. Is there someplace you can buy a fan for cheap? I've searched for my model for a replacement fan and it was like 80 bucks and it comes with the fan housing. i was thinking that there might be someplace that just sells the fan for cheap. I guess what im asking is there any place that sells generic fans, and i can get one for cheap if i just find the size of the fan?

gailey78545

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
i recommend you DO NOT use the laptop unless the fan is fixed, otherwise with intensive load on the CPU/GPU you will fry the laptop and crack the motherboard...thus rendering the laptop useless