Old Toshiba laptop won't open Windows after reinstall

May 5, 2018
I have an ancient Toshiba Satellite 4014CDS. I little while ago I thought I'd clear the hard drive, reinstall Windows 98 and see if it would sell. It was working fine before this but now Windows won't open. All I get is the blue screen with a message saying 'This program has perform an illegal operation and will shut down'. Could anyone advise why this has happened and what I can do to rectify the situation? I'd like to get it to a state where I can pass it on to someone else either working or with the operating system removed. Thanks.

May 5, 2018
Thanks for your reply. I've no idea about the OS installer. I've had the laptop since about 2003 - I was given it for work and was allowed to keep it when the work ended several years later so all the software was put on by them. It was all working fine before I uninstalled Windows and tried to reinstall it. How do I reinstall again if I can't open the computer - could it be done through safe mode (am not very techie about these things)?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
junior31210 Laptop Tech Support 1
mfenton27 Laptop Tech Support 4
S Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 2
F Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 3
D Laptop Tech Support 2
P Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1