Solved! Older ASUS suddenly lagging badly, with disk at or near 100% most of the time

Apr 9, 2019
Asus x555LAB
Processor: Intel core i3-501u, 210Ghz
4GB RAM
64 Bit Win 10 home v1803
OS Build 17134.648
--

Mkay, So about a month ago, my laptop started dragging a little more than usual. I defragged, ran malwarebytes (no threats found) and things seemed so improve a little bit.

Then, this past weekend, it started lagging. Badly. According to Glary utilities my boot time is over 2 minutes (felt like longer, but maybe I'm just impatient).

I haven't installed any new programs (except malwarebytes), downloaded anything other than some jpgs off of facebook, or installed any new hardware. AsI recall, I don't think I even updated any existing programs right before this happened. Possibly windows, actually...not sure.

Plus, a strange thing happened tonight (which is why I'm giving in and asking for help): The computer completely froze, and after trying ctrl-alt-del and getting no response, I manually shut it off, gave it 30 secs, and restarted. I always sign in using a pin, but windows wanted my password instead. and when I clicked on the pin icon under options, it told me I could "sign into windows faster using windows hello (or something like that)" after I logged into my account. Whaaa? And then after changing my microsoft password (I never use it! And getting old is dumb), I was returned to the windows sign in screen, and THEN it let me enter my pin. [language].

Everything seemed legit--it sent me a verification code to my phone, and microsoft sent me a heads-up email to my inbox in hotmail (my settings are set to exclusive)...so I don't know what all that was about, Never had to go thru all that after a hard reset before....

Moral of the story, this damn thing isn't cooperating, and, yes, I know its old and that I should really just give in to my urge to throw it at brick wall and get a new one, but I've got other, more pressing, things requiring more money than I have, so it must wait. Is there anything I can do to squeeze another year or 2 out of this crotchety old bastard?

Thanks in advance for any help any of y'all can provide! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Try starting up the computer in "Safe Mode" and see if it loads fine. Granted there is very limited access in that mode, but if it loads fine, without the problems you had prior, then I would do the following.

While still in "Safe Mode" to "Start" and in the search box type "System Restore" (without the quotes). Click on that in the list that shows and then choose a date prior to the problems starting, and prior to the installation of Malwarebytes. It will take a while to do the restoration, but this may well resolve the problem.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The...
Try starting up the computer in "Safe Mode" and see if it loads fine. Granted there is very limited access in that mode, but if it loads fine, without the problems you had prior, then I would do the following.

While still in "Safe Mode" to "Start" and in the search box type "System Restore" (without the quotes). Click on that in the list that shows and then choose a date prior to the problems starting, and prior to the installation of Malwarebytes. It will take a while to do the restoration, but this may well resolve the problem.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Solution