Olympus: 12 Megapixels Are Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Yes and 1 GB for a HD is unimaginable.

Technology will just continue to improve and anyone that says "This is too fast" "That's too many pixels" is just being short sighted.

Think Bladerunner where they expand the picuture. More megapixels I say.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The problem is a practical use for those pictures. Yes, movies have promised magic zoom and magic focus for years (being able to zoom in and focus seemingly even the most minute details of a picture), but only police investigators ever use it anyway.

However, the other 99% of people who take pictures and upload them to the web don't need anywhere near 12megapixels. What do most people do with a 5mb+ image, they either leave it as is (forcing their friends and family to download a ridiculously sized email), or shrink it down. Very few outside the professional photography business even have the capability of printing something with that dense of a resolution. 1200 DPI for a 4"x6" picture means about 28,800 pixels. Even a 3'x5' poster doesn't need 12 megapixels.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
For me, more pixels do not make my photo look better specially after 10 megapixel. It is the dynamic range, color saturation, white balance, right balance, and the sharpness of the images whick make the photo look good and professional. Unless I am going to crop a small face out of a large picture, there is no need for me to take 20 megapixel w/ 50 MB in size picture (unless if I want to make a wall size poster...which never happen on me before).

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]...1200 DPI for a 4"x6" picture means about 28,800 pixels. Even a 3'x5' poster doesn't need 12 megapixels.[/citation]
My numbers are a little misleading, mega-pixels don't translate 1:1 to DPI, but still your average printed photo isn't anywhere near as dense as a 12 megapixel image.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Please give me a camrea which can take a no noise, well exposed, sharp, and well saturated 10 megapixel picture at ISO 1200! Not a camera only takes 20 megapixel pictures which are full of noise and under exposured at ISO 400.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
The problem isn't that there are "too many pixels". The problem is that the pixels look like crap because they cut corners with other aspects of the camera to push the almighty "megapixel" number even higher. I'd rather have fewer "good pixels" than more "ugly pixels".

So technology isn't really improving at all since you can't tell the difference between 2mp and 12mp on a 1680x1050 screen (unless you zoom in, for which you should have used optical zoom anyway), but you certainly can tell the difference between cheap and expensive optics, and good quality sensors vs cheap stuff.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
good and brave move by olympus.
i want to compare this to F1 regulations that prevents further development of engines to focus on other aspects.
12megapixels, for me, is quite a lot since i don't print.
i'm saving up for a nikon d40, with 6MP resolution yet with very low pixel density, add to that, it is cheap and lightweight.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I love my Canon 20D no need for more than 12 MP I am happy with 8.1.

I want a camera that takes noise free pictures in low light and at ISO 1600. The other thing I would love is a carmera that can take many frames per second (preferably with a selectable drive rate).

The 5D looks awsome but I would always be using it at a lower resolution (I have no use for over 20 MP). The largest I ever print is 13"x19" and even the 5 MP from my old Sony F707 looked great at that size on a canon i9900 printer (4800x1200 DPI 8 inks).

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Yes and 1 GB for a HD is unimaginable.Technology will just continue to improve and anyone that says "This is too fast" "That's too many pixels" is just being short sighted.[/citation]
I disagree. This isn't for professionals, its for Average Joe. Average Joe takes pictures at a few events, and possibly uses an image editor to correct some red eye. He prints out a few images from his laser printer.

He doesn't do any complex image editing, he isn't going to be printing posters, and He doesn't need 12 megapixels.

1920x1200 is ~2.3 megapixels, 2560x1600 is ~4.1 megapixels, and you only see those on resolutions on the highest end monitors. Regular people don't even have the capabilities to edit, or properly view 12 megapixel images.

Maybe in the future, when monitors with 3840x2400 are the norm Average Joe will need more than 12 megapixels, but until then, if you want more than 12, you'll have to buy a professional model.

[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Think Bladerunner where they expand the picuture. More megapixels I say.[/citation]
That was an analog image. Digital imagery is lossy at this point in time.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Yes and 1 GB for a HD is unimaginable.Technology will just continue to improve and anyone that says "This is too fast" "That's too many pixels" is just being short sighted.[/citation]
I disagree. This isn't for professionals, its for Average Joe. Average Joe takes pictures at a few events, and possibly uses an image editor to correct some red eye. He prints out a few images from his laser printer.

He doesn't do any complex image editing, he isn't going to be printing posters, and He doesn't need 12 megapixels.

1920x1200 is ~2.3 megapixels, 2560x1600 is ~4.1 megapixels, and you only see those on resolutions on the highest end monitors. Regular people don't even have the capabilities to edit, or properly view 12 megapixel images.

Maybe in the future, when monitors with 3840x2400 are the norm Average Joe will need more than 12 megapixels, but until then, if you want more than 12, you'll have to buy a professional model.

[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Think Bladerunner where they expand the picuture. More megapixels I say.[/citation]
That was an analog image. Digital imagery is lossy at this point in time.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I'm pretty satisfied with my 6mp Nikon D50. I could only imagine working with 12mp. For the casual user, who needs 8000 pixel wide images?

A mega pixel rating is nowhere near the first thing on my list when buying a cam.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
12MP is way more that what average people will ever need. Just take a look at sites like Facebook - the pictures are not of top quality, and it gets downsized anyway.

Personally, I've been living fine with a 5MP Canon and 2MP LG Shine camera. Anything beyond 8 is just ridiculous - increasing size rapidly while offering no tangible benefits.

piper5177

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Old news, Nikon did this last year with the D90, D300 and D3 which are all 12MP cameras that take ISO 3200 images and make them look like ISO 100 images.

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I remember reading test in several camera magazines and blogs that looked at how much useful resolution can be extracted from Canon's top of the line fixed-focal L series lenses. The conclusion received was 12Meg at most.

However there is one other aspect that also needs to be considered. Many will point out (not without controversy) that the above analysis is fine for taking shots of black/white line resolution diagrams but real world is a different. If you look at a award worthy photographs you will notice how artistically blur is used to put the subject in perspective. How a camera/lense captures blur varies greatly within the same resolution specs. Digital renders blur very harshly compared to film and the only way to improve it is to come up with better software algorithms or, as many would suggest, keep upping to megapixel count to around 40Meg for full frame.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
600 DPI is 360,000 dots per square inch. So an 8" x 10" picture is 28,800,000 pixels. That's 28.8 megapixels. So anyone who wants to print a nice framed portrait for e.g. to place over mantle can do so... but they'll have pixelation or will have to use 300 DPI or less. Anything less than about 400 DPI is visible, at least to me. And if you digital zoom at all (e.g. just 2x), square that zoom factor when calculating the required megapixels.

An 8x10 is about the largest picture size I'd care about and expect out of a personal digital camera. Poster-size, you really have to use a professional camera to get a decent image for both detail and overall quality (usually at a higher distance).

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I want more pixels!!! I want to be able to take a picture of a crowd of 50,000,000 adoring fans of Obama and be able to then zoom in and identify each and every last one of them. I figure that would require at least 76800 pixes each or 3,840,000,000,000 pixels, and i will also need Olympus' promised improvements of detail! Basically, I need 1 pixel for every dollar Obama plans to put my children into debt for over his first four years of playing President.

tomasf

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
with a 10MP camera you can print a 20x25 cm photo, who does that? no one really. mos people only share images and in most cases the optics and color reproduction are more important.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
The more pixels the more noice if you don't increase the image chip... and they have not been bigger, if you don't count those professional cameras. So if everything else keeps the same (as it has many years) more pixels does not make better pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.