Onboard audio driver somehow reducing sound quality?

2Pieee

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
I recently purchased Sennheiser's PC 350 SE headset and found that the sound quality is very low (Noticeably. Reviews said the sound quality is great so this is definitely on my end.). I previously used a Razer Kraken (via USB) and another off-brand pair that uses the microphone in jack, both of which had no issues whatsoever. I updated my RealTek/MSI/Nvidia drivers, and there was no improvement. I also talked to a friend who said my mic quality had far worsened after using the headset.

I'm pretty dumbfounded. My only explanation is that my motherboard's onboard sound just isn't good enough, even though it's only a few years old. But then how could the others work unaffected? Could someone confirm for me that this is the problem?
I have an MSI motherboard, model # B85M-G43 (MS-7823)
I also ordered a DAC, just in case. It has yet to arrive.

If you have any other idea why this is occurring, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks.

Solution
usb bypasses the onboard audio so comparing it to the an analog headset is apples to oranges not apples to apples.

the 3.5mm jack model comparision is more relevant but is hard to judge on alone. i would highly suggest that you test on another device or pc to see if you have the same issue.

heres an example of how the pc350 sounds. i wouldnt compare too much to the yeti as i think he is using it wrong (sitting too far away) but the 350 sounds okay. its a little light on bass with a few minor audio issues but certainly well within acceptable ranges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alrIQX_P7Ho
usb bypasses the onboard audio so comparing it to the an analog headset is apples to oranges not apples to apples.

the 3.5mm jack model comparision is more relevant but is hard to judge on alone. i would highly suggest that you test on another device or pc to see if you have the same issue.

heres an example of how the pc350 sounds. i wouldnt compare too much to the yeti as i think he is using it wrong (sitting too far away) but the 350 sounds okay. its a little light on bass with a few minor audio issues but certainly well within acceptable ranges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alrIQX_P7Ho

Solution