Onboard v. Speakers for Music and Gaming

CreepyBobo346

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
What would be a better option to plug my earbuds into while playing games and listening to music?

My motherboard uses the Realtek ALC1150 codec and I use Logitech X140 speakers and have them plugged into the back.
I usually just plug my headphones into the headphone port on my speakers but that creates some white noise in the background even when nothing is playing, so it got me wondering if I was using the right port.

If neither of these two are sufficient, what’s a good sound card I can get for around $50?
I want to get the most of my headphones (Klipsch x11i)

So, what would be the best option for listening to music, plugging them into the back/front audio jack on my pc, plugging them into my speakers, or getting a new sound card altogether?

Solution
no point in buying anything extra as it only becomes better when you hit the high prices. Stick with the onboard sound, you can use either front or back (Back will likely be better but it may be nearly no difference if the chasis connector is decent). Most people now either use onboard with speakers or spend big dosh on a mixer or proper sound card.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Sound cards are pretty useless (unless you are talking about 500€ + models those do do some stuff). Just pulg your headphones directly into the pc to prevent the noise.

MicroT

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
no point in buying anything extra as it only becomes better when you hit the high prices. Stick with the onboard sound, you can use either front or back (Back will likely be better but it may be nearly no difference if the chasis connector is decent). Most people now either use onboard with speakers or spend big dosh on a mixer or proper sound card.

Solution