Solved! One channel from motherboard, both from speakers

Nov 3, 2018
My motherboard audio jack (most of the time) only outputs left channel audio, but when I plug my headphones into the pass through headphone jack on my speakers (which are plugged into that motherboard) I get stereo 100% of the time. Any ideas how to fix the motherboard issue, since clearly I'm getting stereo to my headphones somehow?

Solution
So you do get right channel audio via the Motherboard's audio jack from time to time - correct?

If you plug your headphones into the motherboard's audio jack are your able to get right channel audio by gently wiggling, twisting, or pushing/pulling the plug?

Could be a broken but still touching connection within the audio jack. Mostly not touching.

Look inside the port for any debris or obstruction. You might also try using a 3.5mm Female to Male extension. May change the connectivity just enough to permit more constant audio.

If you are comfortable doing so, open the case and examine the connection on the inside. You may spot some disconnection or other problem.
So you do get right channel audio via the Motherboard's audio jack from time to time - correct?

If you plug your headphones into the motherboard's audio jack are your able to get right channel audio by gently wiggling, twisting, or pushing/pulling the plug?

Could be a broken but still touching connection within the audio jack. Mostly not touching.

Look inside the port for any debris or obstruction. You might also try using a 3.5mm Female to Male extension. May change the connectivity just enough to permit more constant audio.

If you are comfortable doing so, open the case and examine the connection on the inside. You may spot some disconnection or other problem.

Solution
Nov 3, 2018
That's correct, I do get it from time to time. The strange thing however is that it's the same situation whether I plug the speakers (or another set of speakers) into the port on the motherboard, or the headphone jack built into the case. I took a look, a jiggled the internal power connections for the case related ports to see if that would work.

I would sometimes just unplug/replug the speakers a bunch of times and every once in a while it would start outputting both channels. I already tried the extension as well, as that was what I was running off of to try and reach the front-case headphone jack (when I thought it was the headphone jack from the motherboard itself).

Ur motherboard jack, is... jacked! u may had damaged it at some point, and is now picky on the plug u use. Plug in the thing that gives you left channel only now wiggle the thing, if u get static and/or right channel comes on, then am right. Now how u fix that? attempt to clean it. Google, youtube, or there maybe a STICKY on top of this forum u can consult. If ur lucky it could be just accumulated dust balls. A proper mini jack, when u plug in the cable, u feel something clicks into place in a positive, no hesitation manner. With dust balls, this feels soft and weak.