One-Pedal Design Aims to End Car Crashing Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jplarson

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I like reading about advancements in technology that seems to have reached the limit. I think though increased accidents are due to distracted drivers (texting, fiddling with the radio, shaving, talking on the phone) who in a panic hit the wrong pedal. It annoys me that I talk on the phone sometimes while driving, but I don't think a unified pedal is going to decrease as many accidents as hoped for.

G

Such a useless and expensive invention.
I still think the dual joystick idea is going to be the best invention for driving safely!

Roten67

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
People are soo dumb.. just watch what you're doing for christ sake, rather then have to invent somthing and pay money to own it rolls eyes.. No wait I am people...oh whatever

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I think that this is an interesting concept. "Learning how to drive properly" is not quite the right way to look at the problem, though. It can be a mistake anyone can make through misinterpreting locations, or simply by having a moment of confusion. I presume some dyslexics probably accidentally pick the wrong pedal on occasion. Hopefully they hit the brake instead of the gas, as that's less of a risk. ;)

G

Why not just learn to drive. All fancy ideas... Ban automatic transmission, learn to drive manual less mistakes (certainly no out of control acceleration- rev limiter is your limit).

Too many drivers rely on way too many electronic crap.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]xyxer23[/nom]Why not just learn to drive. All fancy ideas... Ban automatic transmission, learn to drive manual less mistakes (certainly no out of control acceleration- rev limiter is your limit).Too many drivers rely on way too many electronic crap.[/citation]
Couldn't have said it better. The problem isn't the car. It's the retards behind the wheel who don't know how to operate it.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]You don't need to drive if you can't tell the difference between gas and brake pedal..What if you have a manual trans? [/citation]

I agree 100% and what if you have a manual trans?

Doomsy2006

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Uhmm how about an accelerometer in the gas pedal system. When it is activated to its fullest potential within milliseconds it actually floods the engine to a stall / or acts like a switch to kill the engine which could then activate an automatic anti-lock braking system like what is now being used in Mercedes-Benz. No need to change anything except how the car reacts to an immediate full throttle.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
what's wrong with the old-school pedals?
the ones that are build into the car floor.
i don't think they will ever get stuck by floor mats.
and they are more comfortable for the legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.