Onkyo A/V loses sound/picture for a few sec repeatedly

Ggospel

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
I hope this is the right forum... :

Recently installed new home theatre:
Onkyo HTS5805 receiver + speakers and Benq W2000 projector.
Installed 45 days ago.
Initially no issues, but last two weeks the sound and picture "disappears" for a few seconds simultaneously while watching Netflix on my appletv for no apparent reason. This happens at irregular intervals. Sometimes several times within a minute, sometimes not for several hours...
I haven't moved anything or switched any cables etc.
The movie don't stop when this happens.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Solution
Ok ... i just spoke with a friend who uses an android set-top box with netflix, kodi etc. This sounds very similar to what you are doing with the appletv. He says he gets a much more reliable signal if he connects his android to the modem with an ethernet cable rather than relying on Wifi.

robert600

Distinguished
Sorry ... not familiar with apple tv. Is your signal being sent from the tv to the onkyo or from the onkyo to the tv? Can you explain this a bit?

Also ... if you hook up ... say a blu-ray player to the onkyo and then from the onkyo to the projector (presumably using hdmi cables) - do you lose sound and video as above?

Ggospel

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016

Hello Robert,

Thank you for your reply.
The appleTV is a streaming device for streaming movies and TV-series through the internet. It is connected to the Onkyo using a HDMI cable. The Onkyo in turn divides the signal to projector and speakers.

The problem only seems to arise when using the Appletv. When using a blueray player (in my case my Playstation 3) I have not encountered these "hiccups".

robert600

Distinguished
This sounds like it might be a problem with 'the stream' from the internet. Do you have a good high speed internet connection? I know I had to give up on netflix etc. because my connection couldn't keep up with the download demand. Is there a way you could check this?

robert600

Distinguished
If you're confident your connection can keep up with download demand a couple of things you could try:

Connect the appletv to the jack on the onkyo that you used for your ps3 (you know that one works fine)

Connect the appletv straight to the projector and see if there are any hiccups (I know you won't get sound but you would at least know if the onkyo is the problem - or are the 'hiccups too random to make this easily doable?)

robert600

Distinguished
Ok ... i just spoke with a friend who uses an android set-top box with netflix, kodi etc. This sounds very similar to what you are doing with the appletv. He says he gets a much more reliable signal if he connects his android to the modem with an ethernet cable rather than relying on Wifi.

Solution